LegacyGT.com

Thule 969 anyone (or other cheapie bike rack)?

The 969 is the cheapie rear mounted bike rack for up to 3 bikes. The Thule website says the 968 fits the '06 legacy sedan. It looks to be the same as the 969 but for 2 bikes max.

I'm looking for something easy on and off for local transport. Four bike capacity would be perfect, but three would do.

Anyone?

I'm an avid cyclist and a former managing partner of the largest independent bicycle store chain in San Diego, CA. The Thule racks are some of the better quality racks as far as "trunk mount" racks go. Likely things to consider:

If Thule says no to the 3-bike its because they say the weight can damage the plastic body molding around the bumper, hence ok for 2-bike, not for 3. As for 4-bikes on a trunk mount, dont even consider it. Also, if you are going to use a trunk mount rack be sure the car is clean before mounting and besure to mount properly as I have never seen a rack fail to work although I have seen many people fail to work the rack!

If you will be transporting your bikes frequently, seriously consider a "hidden hitch 1 1/4" recvr and hitchmount rack that fits your budget. I use a recvr mounted rack on my LGT and I have a roof rack as well. I only use the roof rack for ski trips since it causes wind noise as well as reduced fuel efficiency.

Keep in mind, the more you spend the better it will protect your bikes and more importantly your car from damage.

Good luck!

Archived