LegacyGT.com

Spec B or modified GT Ltd?

Hey, I'm new here and considering a Legacy as a second car, but I have a noob question that I'm not sure may have been asked before.

Compared to the stock Spec B GT, how does or would a GT Ltd with a stiffer suspension and bigger turbo compare? What kind of power can I expect froma mild turbo upgrade in a Ltd?

The significant other doesn't like the red interior in the Spec B, which is pretty much the only reason I'm asking.

Thanks,

Depends on how much your willing to spend on that extra suspesion and turbo mods for the regular one. I would say A LOT better if your willing to drop enough money on some coilovers, and a whole turbo swap. The spec. b really isnt faster than the regular GT, powerwise and all, it has the same turbo anyway. The spec b. has bilstein struts which is the big deal but, with soem mods you could easily surpass the handling capabilities of the spec b. with s regula GT. The big thing with the spec b. is your paying a lot for a limited car, if you dont car about that just get a regular GT and spend the money on mods and it will perform better and be more to your liking.

When you thinking about buying?

I like the red leather, but not the silver paint as much, although I am probably waiting for an 07 sedan, which could complicate things in trading the rear seat backs... as the 07 is rumored to get folding seatbacks for the sedan.

I'd buy another color car, with a black interior, and you could buy the spec b, and we could trade seats... aside from the rumors that 07 will have fold-down rear seats, which is one thing I am actually looking forward to...

Stiffer suspension would probably be about the same, depending on the parts used... could potentially be harsher.

Bigger turbo would benefit Spec B and GT alike, as the engine is the same either way, and a bigger/uprated turbo would probably flow better in the upper reaches of the tachometer. A couple of people have swapped STI VF39 turbos, intercoolers and intake manifolds, directly, or even JDM twin-scroll turbos for good results.

I'll let others with direct experience take this further for you.

Thanks, I'm not terribly interested in the cachet of the spec B's limited numbers, but I am interested in what it might take to make a Legacy perform better. When you say a whole turbo swap, are you referring to all new plumbing as opposed to dropping in a bigger unit?

I can get a Ltd for about 10k less than a Spec B, so if I can use ~5k on a better turbo and suspension, I'd be happy. Also, do GT owners chip their cars?

I'm looking to buy around mid 2007 :) but I'm doing my homework now. I like awd, and I need something for bad weather days or hauling more than I can in my two seater. A full interior swap is an option, but if I can get the car for less and put my own parts in it, I'd be happy.

For those that swapped the turbos for the STi VF39s, what whp did they end up with?

Thanks,

5k would likly be more than enough, for good power level and suspension mods. There are really a wide array of turbo options, and money is really the limiting factor. The more you are willing to spend the more power you can get. As for chipping, there is ecu tuning, search terms like Cobb Access port, utec, and ecutek, if your not looking for super power gains this is a lot cheaper. A cobb AP, full exhaust, and tune will get you a lil faster than an sti. For around 1500ish.

Having owned a fully modified 05 LGT and now a 06 SpecB almost fully modified.....

Go with the LGT 100% unless the following apply

1) you can get a KILLER price on it

2) you are in love with the nav/interior

3) you like having a tag limited number

4) you just need a lil bit of an upgrade over the LGT suspension

I got a deal I couldn't pass on....so I did it. and I'm modify'n the suspension as we speak......

Check them out

"Stg II", which is turbo-back exhaust, an up-pipe, usually a panel filter, and an ecu tune (Subarus don't use a 'chip' in the traditional sense) will get you stock STI or slightly better performance (low 13 sec 1/4 mile). This costs around $2000-3000 depending on your shopping skills and how much labor you can do yourself.

AFA suspension, coil overs and sway bars will get you better handling than the Spec B for another $2k or so. Many folks (including myself) have upgraded springs and are waiting for aftermarket struts to avoid the hassles of coilovers. Good improvement, but not ideal.

Brakes are a simple upgrade: pads, fluid and SS lines will pretty much do everything you need for the street. If you're going to track it, you might want more...

YMMV ;)

Well, I had a Tribeca for a week and the nav system drove me crazy - every start up required me to clear a liability screen, and I don't want that on any car I own. From what I'm hearing here though, a GT Ltd sounds like it will be fine - any idea if Subaru is bringing more colors to the US?

Well, I had a Tribeca for a week and the nav system drove me crazy - every start up required me to clear a liability screen, and I don't want that on any car I own. From what I'm hearing here though, a GT Ltd sounds like it will be fine - any idea if Subaru is bringing more colors to the US?

nothing announced to the public yet that i'm aware of.

If you don't drive for a living than don't get the navigation. If you're not getting a navigation you don't need the spec b. You can do everything you want to the car with a LGT and you can pick any color instead of being stuck with the titanium silver metallic.

For me.... absolutely use the navigation every day and it saves me thousands of dollars a month. Greatest investment ever! For me the only way to get the manual transmission and the navigation.. forced into a spec b.

Got a decent deal on it and absolutely love the car!

I've been into performance automobiles and worked at speed shops through college. If there is one thing I know it's that it's always easier to start with a good setup than have the time, energy, and cash to do all your upgrades later.

That was the other reason I love the spec b. I get navigation, 18" wheels, performance tires, awesome interior, mp3 player, sunroof, suspension.... for me it was a no brainer. It might not fit everyone.

I would definately go to www.cobbtuning.com that will give you a great idea of what we mean when we say stage2 etc etc.

You'll quickly find out the legacy was a little detuned from the factory probably to set it apart from the STI. With a little money and a little work it can go a long way towards performance. You don't get such gains with all autos. Legacy is a special car! I would definately get one.

Archived