LegacyGT.com

Flywheel Mania

Tehnation

Took me a while to get an understanding of how all this works, or maybe I am still wrong. I have stock 2005 lgt, Double Mass, Flywheel... shitty. So the solutions are 2007+ lgt, 2006+ wrx Single Mass Flywheel... better. Now i'm not sure where the Lightweight Flywheels fit in, I assume they are single mass as well.

I was interested in buying the Exedy FF502 Lightweight Racing Flywheel, 12.7 lbs, with either Cluthmaster FX300 or Exedy Stage 2 Ceremetallic clutch.

I have a lightweight pulley as well, and am aiming for 375hp. I have read somewhere that I may get problems and error codes with lightweight pulley and flywheel. Can these be tuned out or is it a physics problem? Anyone use this setup or the Exedy FF502?

Not exactly sure about the LGT's but for my GC8 I was running a 13lb streetlite, lightweight crank and power steering pulleys, and no A/C. That caused misfire codes to be thrown at idle but I solved it by simply raising my idles to 900 RPM with ECU explorer.

You need to match the flywheel to the clutch and vise versa. If you're going to go with a flywheel for an 06 WRX, you need to get a flywheel for an 06 WRX.

I cant find an aftermarket double mass flywheel, I think only oem has the doublemass. All the flywheels listed for 05-06 lgt's that are aftermarket seem to be single mass by default from what Ive seen. The ff502 is also the same flywheel for 06+ wrx likewise with the 15952 Stage 2 cerametallic clutch. The 2 clutches both work with that flywheel I believe.

There are no aftermarket DMFW. The DMFW design is for comfort, and it does an okay job at that. However it is basically acting as a damped spring in between the engine and transmission, which isn't ideal for putting power down quickly and accurately.

Keep in mind that as you lower the weight of the flywheel, taking off from a stop will require more throttle input and the engine will lose revs faster in between shifts. On the plus side the engine will spin up more "freely".

As I mentioned in the other thread, aftermarket lightweight flywheels are usually around 10-15lbs, compared to the ~25lb Subaru OEM ('06+ WRX, '07+ LGT) SMFW and the 30lb+ DMFW.

Archived