LegacyGT.com

EGR pressure sensor location

I bought my first subaru, a 96 2.5GT, about 3 months ago. For two months now, the check engine light has come up multiple times with the same problem, a PO400 code, for an EGR flow issue.

I have done a lot of research on this, and other forums, and have come to the conclusion that the problem is a sensor that measures the pressure from the EGR valve.

Only problem is, I only know that it's general location is on the right strut tower, but not exactly which component on that tower is the sensor itself. Any help would be appreciated.

Look under your hood, there should be a diagram of the emmissions components. Look for the item labeled pressure sensor. Or you could just replace the small black sensor on the passenger side strut tower with the 3 wire harness plugged into it. It should be a Denso sensor and held onto the bracket with 2 nuts.

I would first check all your vacuum hoses as you may have a cracked one that is giving a false signal to the egr or a sensor. You could try un-plugging the denso pressure sensor and verify that the same code comes up before you throw any money at the car.

I have checked all vacuum lines with a pressure gauge, and the EGR itself, and all is in great shape. The filter between the EGR and the pressure sensor has been replaced. It was $8. That had no effect on anything.

I have looked at the diagram, and located the sensor. I will unplug and check code as soon as possible, but if the code comes up the same I don't believe it would help very much, as it would probably come up for several different problems of the same symptom.

I should probably note that my transmission will stumble here and there. Only at low speeds, and only when my wheels are turned one way or the other. Shifts can be sluggish at times as well. In my research I have learned that all these symptoms have been explained by a problem with the pressure sensor, which also is is part of calculating some sort of algorithms associated with transmission shifts. When the transmission stumbles I notice that the speedometer will bounce up and down between 10 mph and as high as 40 mph. I have no idea why this happens, and is the one thing that I never found any information on associated with my problem.

Archived