LegacyGT.com

Coatin em, is this true?

Legdude

Just got a set of sti bbs's for my legacy, they look great but one of the wheels is absolutely haggered. Because of this im going to have that wheel fixed, sine im going that far I'd also like to get them all powder coated the stock gold. Anyway, contacted my local wheel repairman and hes telling me that " powder coating the wheels is a bad idea ", and from his logic this is because the plastic beads, of which the powder coat is made up of, can become adsorbent even after being applied to the wheel. This means the wheels with adsorb the brake dust and turn a shit color over time, if I don't clean them every other day from what he tells me. Now I myself have worked with powder coating bike frames and have never herd of something like this. However, when I asked him about getting the wheels coated in the first place, he used words like " hard " and " tough " so I myself think hes a lazy ass and just doesn't want to go through the hassle. But correct me if I'm wrong, is there something to his logic??

yeah, I knew he was a lazy ass, but I figured I'd ask before I made a mistake. He was trying to sell me on the paint idea, but powder coat is tough stuff, no chipping off because of stupid bull shit situations.

Archived