LegacyGT.com

What model years have experienced most turbo or engine failures?

If you've had an engine or turbo failure, what model year was your GT?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If you've had an engine or turbo failure, what model year was your GT?

Thought it would be a good way to see if there are any trends related to engine/turbo failure and model year. For those that have had either failure, what model year is your GT?

I should have made 10 categories... Model year w/failure for each model year and Model year w/no failures for each model year.

That way everyone on this forum could cast a vote and we could get a very good picture/sample size. There's been almost 200 views and only a few votes cast for failures.

Mine was turbo bearings wearing out on my 05, at 142,000 miles.

Caught it before it put metal into the oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i wish this poll had an option for model year without blown engine as a control.

oh, that's easy, 2009.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

oh, that's easy, 2009.

I meant as in an option for each model year, so we could get a control for how many people don't have blown engines and how many people are represented from each year as well.

Bought my 2005 a couple of years ago with a pre-blown turbo and possible engine damage. Tore it down all the way to the crank to make sure all was well, and luckily it was. Did a few upgrades during reassembly. It's been a great car ever since.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

chato,

see post #6 above... unfortunately that didn't occur to me until after I started it... But 22 responses out of 393 views is about 5% if you assume the rest that viewed the poll haven't had a problem...

chato,

see post #6 above... unfortunately that didn't occur to me until after I started it... But 22 responses out of 393 views is about 5% if you assume the rest that viewed the poll haven't had a problem...

This or they were smart enough to not brag about how their engine didn't blow. It was only a few months after I checked no for the VF 40 thread till mine blew.

Block and turbo, they seem to be the new item to change when you do timing belt. I hear this also makes the spark plug swap a breeze.

I may replace these items during every oil change going forward.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

My turbo was pulled off during a valve job. At 167,000 miles it was deemed it excellent condition with barely any play. (3500 OCI dino oil changer). Its bolted back onto newly fixed motor.

Fixed motor= valve job and new rings + pleathora random parts, gaskets for $3000. OEM Banjo bolt screens were pretty clean but replaced.

At 249k, waste gate move all the way to the right. Touching turbine housing wall.

Shaft play is min. would still run turbo if waste gate wasn't hitting the wall.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0523141311_zps5cf4c281.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0523141312_zps6b46d1b1.jpg

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

How many owners who suffered failures had the banjo fitting and screen serviced at regular intervals?

I'm not looking to blame those who didn't, but to see how important it is for long turbo and engine life.

I have 115k on my LGT and have had the screen changed twice so far, the first at 60k and the second at about 100k.

Archived