LegacyGT.com

Trying to switch from DMFW to SMFW

I have an 07 Legacy Gt 5 speed. I am getting the clutch replaced here in a couple days. I have read that many suggest moving to a SMFW for cost and to be able to resurface. Everywhere i look on here says that my 07 should be SMFW from the start.

Every time i call a Subaru parts department, they say that all legacies up to 09 have DMFW... I even provided my VIN to them. Then i said just get me the clutch kit and flywheel from an 06 wrx. They then said that the wrx is also a DMFW. I'm really confused on what i should be buying and looking for suggestions of which kit i should be ordering. Are their databases incorrect?

Also when switching to a SMFW, what other things will i need for this to be installed correctly?

Boost,

I did they same swap a few years back on my 05 LGT for the exact same reasons. I don't when the LGT's switched to SMFW, but I do believe yours is currently DMFW. Ordering the Clutch kit of choice and SMFW for an 06 is the proper kit to convert and there shouldn't be anything else that is needed.

Kyle

'07+ came with SMFW. All you need is the SMFW-specific clutch kit, and consider a TSK3 TOB while you are in there.

You will need a TP50 bit to remove the old FW bolts. At that point you can replace with a standard hex head bolt from the WRX, but there really is no need since you will ahve already bought the TP50 bit.

Let me know if I can quote any/all of these items for you.

'07+ came with SMFW. All you need is the SMFW-specific clutch kit, and consider a TSK3 TOB while you are in there.

You will need a TP50 bit to remove the old FW bolts. At that point you can replace with a standard hex head bolt from the WRX, but there really is no need since you will ahve already bought the TP50 bit.

Let me know if I can quote any/all of these items for you.

Is there a difference between an STI flywheel and a 07+ Spec B 6 speed flywheel? When I did my rebuild I bought and STI Fitment flywheel to accompany my FX350 Clutch, I thought I had a DMFW.

• Moderators
Is there a difference between an STI flywheel and a 07+ Spec B 6 speed flywheel? When I did my rebuild I bought and STI Fitment flywheel to accompany my FX350 Clutch, I thought I had a DMFW.

Most of the 07 spec.b's that I've seen people change clutches on have had STI flywheels in there already (although honestly I don't know why I say "most"--I've only seen a few). 08/09 seem to have actual spec.b flywheels. Don't recall the difference, but I want to say the STi FWs have "posts" of some sort.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Most of the 07 spec.b's that I've seen people change clutches on have had STI flywheels in there already (although honestly I don't know why I say "most"--I've only seen a few). 08/09 seem to have actual spec.b flywheels. Don't recall the difference, but I want to say the STi FWs have "posts" of some sort.

You're right, in fact when you had your flywheel up for sale I looked at the picture and thought it was an STI flywheel. I was going to make a comment, but didn't want to make an inaccurate statement. My stock Spec B flywheel had a solid ring where the clutch bolts on vs. an STI broken ring. If I had some pictures it would make more sense, but i'm at work and don't.

Edit: Here are some comparison pictures from this thread: Linky (DMFW on the left SMFW from Spec b on the right) and then an STI flywheel in the second pic.

ClutchSide1.jpg.08f0bcc417a443953a568b8182ad5121.jpg

oemsti-flywheel_1.jpg.6028fa557f06d8236c3216fabab941ec.jpg

I actually didn't even know that was an STi flywheel at the time. Do both spec.b clutches and sti clutches both bolt up to both flywheels, or no? I'm honestly not sure.

I know the STi Clutch requires an extra bolt because I had to buy one when I installed my FX350. As far as diameter fitment, i'm not sure.

Archived