LegacyGT.com

Options for aftermarket Bluetooth for streaming media and phone link

I recently bought my 07 legacy and it turns out the AUX input just flat doesn't work (any tips on what might be wrong are welcome). So I ended up buying an FM transmitter, but it kinda sucks. The quality is decent but I end up having to mess with it a lot and when I'm charging my phone there's annoying feedback that comes across the headphone jack.

So basically I'm looking for the cheapest best option for integrating bluetooth speaker phone + streaming capabilities into the car stereo. I've seen lots of bluetooth devices with LCD screen and ipod connectors, my phone is a droid and obviously has a screen, I don't want to buy functionality that I don't need.

I got this last year, been working well:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004877KOK/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details]Amazon.com: Motorola Roadster Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

The battery has good life, I charge it about once a month. It can either play with the built in speaker, or use fm modulation to play over the car speakers. Decent little product.

• I Donated
iSimple Gateway. Operates through your satellite radio button on the headunit (plugs into the satellite radio port in back). Allows two of the following: iPod, aux-in, BT, HD radio. The BT and HD radio options are extra cost. I did the BT option, and spent about $190 total (plus $175 for an 07 headunit!).

I have been using this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CLYJ2I/ref=asc_df_B004CLYJ2I1947795?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004CLYJ2I&hvpos=none&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=909304688355391285&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=]Belkin[/ame] one for a while now and it works great. Sounds is really good and music streaking is great.

Taras

• 2 months later...
iSimple Gateway. Operates through your satellite radio button on the headunit (plugs into the satellite radio port in back). Allows two of the following: iPod, aux-in, BT, HD radio. The BT and HD radio options are extra cost. I did the BT option, and spent about $190 total (plus $175 for an 07 headunit!).

What year do you have? I have an '05 and iSimple says it isn't compatible (only '08+). Has anyone found a solution for earlier model years that doesn't rely on FM modulation?

• I Donated

As noted, I have a headunit from a 2007 LGT. The model number you need is P-204UH (2005s have the P-201UH). The P-204UH is plug-and-play and has a satellite radio port, which is necessary to use the iSimple Gateway. It also has built-in aux-in, although on a 2005, you need an adapter to use it.

Your only options if you have a P-201UH and want to keep it are the Jazzy aux-in, the Leptronix aux-in, and one other whose name I forget. The Jazzy one requires a silent CD, I wasn't impressed with the sound quality on the Leptronix, and the third one requires a whole bunch of soldering. The P-204UH is really the best option.

Second the iSimple Gateway.

What year do you have? I have an '05 and iSimple says it isn't compatible (only '08+). Has anyone found a solution for earlier model years that doesn't rely on FM modulation?

I also have an 05 LGT and went with the iSimple route. I ended up getting an 07' radio from a local junkyard, which provides SAT and AUX inputs. For AUX to work, you will need to get the harness from SVXdc.

Though iSimple says it only works with '08+, it will also work with the '07 radio. Just did the install last week and it only took about 1 hour, which included drilling a hole in the cubby for the iSimple docking/charging cord.

If you want to stick with the '05 radio, go with the Jazzy route. Check out this thread here... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/plug-n-play-aux-mod-2005-6cd-radios-18504.html

• I Donated
Any idea where to find it cheaper? Did everyone just get them from junkers? Thanks again.

That or on here in the FS section. Just make sure any used radio you get has a working 6-disc changer and the seller removes any CDs before shipping. I got two from junkyards with broken changers before I found the one I finally got on here.

Called the dealer; they weren't able to find "P-204UH". He looked up the radio for an '07 GT -- said it was part # 86201AE36A and cost $837!! Any idea where to find it cheaper? Did everyone just get them from junkers? Thanks again.

another option is car-part.com, which is a database of parts from junkyards all over the country. it took a little patience and some persistence, but i found my '07 radio from a local junkyard for $135. i also found a few others on there that would ship, but would obviously cost more. be sure to call the numbers listed and don't bother with the "get a quote" button.

i'm a bit new to the Subaru Legacy so not sure if all GT versions have auto-climate control. if you go with the junkyard route, make sure you confirm with them that it's the right model. '07 and '08 outbacks radios work too. the radio from '09 won't work since they are meant to work with the harman kardon system.

• 6 months later...
  • I Donated
Hey guys, thanks again for the help. So I purchased a salvaged P-204UN (you said UH but all I saw was UN). It didn't come with the climate controls (see pics). Is this going to work with the '05 climate controls or do I need '08 climate controls too? This is a gift for my dad so I'm kinda flying blind here. Thanks!

If the car has auto climate control, you NEED a P-204UH. UN will not work unless your car has the manual knob setup already.

I just installed an iSimple Tranzit Blu in my '05 with the factory radio. It basically lets you stream BT audio thru the antenna/FM radio. Haven't tried to use it to make/receive calls, but it works great streaming audio with my Android phone and ipod. Got it for less than $70, however it requires (at least for a clean install) the Metra 40-SB30 antenna adapter kit.

If the car has auto climate control, you NEED a P-204UH. UN will not work unless your car has the manual knob setup already.

F! Yeah he's got auto climate. Ok, so it seems a lot of salvage yards don't go by the P-204 model # on the front of the HU but instead by the model # listed on the rear of the radio (for example, the model # of the incompatible radio is 86201AG69B), does anyone have the corresponding model # for the P-204UH radio?

Also, when I order the correct UH radio, does it need to include the climate control module or will my dad's '05 climate control module attach/work in the newer UH radio? I'm only asking because the incompatible UN radio I purchased didn't come with the CC module (see pic). Thanks again.

20130115_180403.jpg.766eff59076ed73ffc1db141c492cdf9.jpg

• I Donated

Dunno the model number. If nobody posts it by tomorrow evening, I'll take my dash apart and check. Bump the thread then if nobody else has replied.

The UH models have the climate control completely integrated into the headunit. They're on the same PCB and everything. So no need to swap anything from one unit to the other... just swap the whole unit.

Don't forget that to use the AUX function, you need an adapter (available for $35 from SVXdc: http://ae64.com/).

I just installed an iSimple Tranzit Blu in my '05 with the factory radio. It basically lets you stream BT audio thru the antenna/FM radio. Haven't tried to use it to make/receive calls, but it works great streaming audio with my Android phone and ipod. Got it for less than $70, however it requires (at least for a clean install) the Metra 40-SB30 antenna adapter kit.

How'd the install for this go? What's involved? I like the idea of bluetooth music streaming but cannot find how this unit works and how well the audio quality is on their website.

Thoughts?

• I Donated
How'd the install for this go? What's involved? I like the idea of bluetooth music streaming but cannot find how this unit works and how well the audio quality is on their website.

Thoughts?

Sounds like an FM modulator, in which case sound quality is probably meh. Probably good enough for phone, though, and it really depends on how discerning you are for BT audio.

Thoughts?

It's extremely simple to install. Power/Ground (I tapped into the cig lighter) and the after-mentioned antenna hook ups. Basically every time the car is turned on the unit searches for a BT connection for 2 min. There is an optional switch, which I installed, that allows you to turn on-off the unit manually. So, if I miss that 2min window, I can turn the unit back on without switching off the car.

BT audio is compressed and it's being sent thru the radio antenna, so you can't expect CD quality. I'm not an audiophile, but to my ear it sounds at least as good as an FM station with perfect reception. There is absolutely no static or hiss, which is what I was afraid of.

Dunno the model number. If nobody posts it by tomorrow evening, I'll take my dash apart and check.

If it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome!

Don't forget that to use the AUX function, you need an adapter (available for $35 from SVXdc: http://ae64.com/).

This requires a bit of soldering right? If so, I think I'll stick with the plug-and-play iSimple.

• I Donated
If it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome!

This requires a bit of soldering right? If so, I think I'll stick with the plug-and-play iSimple.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to take out the unit and check the part number. But, the SVXdc adapter is totally plug-and play. The one I'm talking about is not listed on his website. It has an i85 (or i88?) connector on one end, and a 3.5mm minijack female connector on the other end (you plug the aux-in cable into that). The i85/i88 is pass-through, so you plug the original connector that attaches to the back of the headunit into the harness, and then plug the harness into the headunit. The only other thing you have to do is loosen a screw on the side of the headunit and sandwich a spade connector coming off the harness underneath it to ground the aux-enable wire.

Archived