LegacyGT.com

Just got an E-mail from Subaru

Well here it is.

New Maintenance Interval for

2008 Turbo Vehicles

With increasing demands placed on turbo engines today, engine oil must contend with extraordinary under-hood temperatures intensified by the high heat output of a turbo-equipped model.

Beginning with the 2008 model year, all turbo vehicles are to be considered operating under severe driving conditions, which will require oil and filter changes every 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months.

The new 3,750-mile maintenance interval is designed to help 2008 turbo drivers maintain the longevity of their vehicle's engine components. The change in policy is reflected in the 2008 Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. There are several other examples of severe driving that can be reviewed in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet as well.

As the 2008 vehicles become available, please be sure to follow this new maintenance requirement.

I use Mobile 1 and change the oil every 5000 miles. If i stick to my intervals will Subaru void my warranty if something happens?

Lets hear from everyone!

I've always changed my oil every 3000, but I'm just like that. I've done it with every car I've ever owned, starting with a 1976 Datsun B-210 with a 1.4L engine. It's just a good policy IMHO. It gives you piece of mind knowing that your car always has fresh blood, and any of us that can afford a Legacy GT, especially an 08 Spec B, can afford to change the oil every 3000. Don't get cheap on your beautiful car.

Do you use Mobile 1 or regular oil. Every 3000 with regular is what i would do too. Its not the money its the time frame. I drive 800-1000 miles a week. Do the math. I'll go from every 5-6 weeks to every 3-4 weeks. Its a pain in the but.

Oh man, buy yourself a beater to drive. You'll have 100K on the thing by next Christmas at that rate. Now I understand what a pain in the butt it would be though. I'm just not used to that. I put like 500 miles a month on mine and right now I use Mobil 1. In my first LGT that now belongs to another car freak, I only ran Red Line. I'm actually thinking about going back to that now that I'm stage 2. Sorry man, wasn't trying to bust your balls, just didn't know you had to drive so bloody much. It would be annoying for me too.

I love my spec b. Its a joy to drive and drive it i do. I've always had nice cars to drive the 1000 miles a week. I keep them for 2.5- 3 years and pass them on to my kids and get a new one. My 05 forester xt had 93,000 miles when i got the 08 spec b. Now my son has it and it just turn 106,000 without a drop of trouble. He just had the timing belt done. He drives it about 100 a day. I'm sure he wont go to the 3750 miles oil change. My wifes 07 forester xt wont be a big problem she only drive about 200 miles a week. Might switch her to the new change interval. so now the subaru turbo need high test fuel and more oil changes, OH BOY $$$$$$

thanks bonefizz. I agree with the article. What will subaru due with warranty issues if you cant provide proof of a 3750 mile oil change interval? I already have 12,000 mile on the car with 3 mobile 1 oil changes on it. I switch to mobile 1 @ 500 miles than 5000, 10,000.......

Listen, change your oil as often as you are comfortable with. It just seems the more research I read, the case for changing oil less frequently looks better and better. I'd rather spend my money on other upgrades.

The new BMW 335i's with twin turbo's don't need oil changes for 15,000 miles. They recomend Mobil 1.

I use Mobil 1 and change it at approximate 7500 intervals. Works for me. The longest I will keep my cars is maybe 6 years so changing at 3000 would be a waste of money. If I kept my cars until the wheels fall off, then perhaps 3000 would make more sense, but I won't. If you are going to drive your car 250k miles, consider more frequent oil changes. But if you don't keep your car more than a couple of years, save your money.

Listen, change your oil as often as you are comfortable with. It just seems the more research I read, the case for changing oil less frequently looks better and better. I'd rather spend my money on other upgrades.

The new BMW 335i's with twin turbo's don't need oil changes for 15,000 miles. They recomend Mobil 1........

Actually, the new BMW twin turbos need a oil change every 1000 miles, if you care about your expensive motor. Don't believe me? Read this thread;

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=976881&an=0&page=0#Post976881

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed in the latest Subaru DRIVE, under "Subaru News". You are now required to change your oil every 3,750 miles or 3-3/4 months.

I put about 6k on my car per year. Now I'm forced to spend money getting FOUR oil changes a year.

How about Subaru pays for the oil changes they are forcing Subaru owners to have?

I do a visual inspection of the oil as 3k miles comes along. If it's looking worse for wear, I change it. If not, I put another 1000 miles on it before the next check. I plan on keeping to that.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived