LegacyGT.com

spec b 1/4 mile numbers not good?

hey all, just a little worried about what my Cobb AP is telling me for performance numbers. I ran this twice and got the same both times, I'm Stock with Stage 1 flash:

60' 2.459

330' 6.276

0-60 6.389

1/8 9.701 @ 77.1

1000' 12.507

1/4 14.81 @ 98.1

Is this bad to the point of something wrong?

I didn't launch very well, but i don't want to trash my clutch/drivetrain. But I do feel i went thru the gears very well.:mad:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The launch is what is making your numbers so low. You need to get your 60' time in low 2's (2.1 or less) and your time will be in the low 14's.

Yeah that makes sense then. I was wondering why my 0-60 was so bad too, but i guess if you factor in .4 for a bad launch, and an extra gear switch due to the 6 speed on the spec b, then that should explain it.....i hope lol.

Yes, I can take one look at those 60' times and say they suck. ;) Sorry... even if you drop .4 sec for a crappy launch, you're still at a crappy launch. You need to be down in the 1.8 times, not 2.x+

And in the 1/4 mile, shifting and "extra" gear makes no difference. You'll finish in 4th gear and most likely you'd be doing the same in a 5MT. I'd love to take a stock Spec B to the track, but so far, I haven't found anyone willing to let me take theirs. :lol:

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

you have to factor in uphills, downhills, and there is a certain amount of error in the cobb AP calculations.

dont get too down on yourself.

dont worry about the absolute numbers, rather, try to improve on your numbers.

car for sale. PM me!

I'll say more driver then car. My AP times in my 05GT Sage1, 5MT & 13.7lbs. ea. wheels. Over a 6lbs. saving a wheel. I haven't been to track after I swaped in my STi 6MT. But I'll say the times will be the same if not a little quicker. You lost another 10lbs. off the flywheel. The difference between Sti FW & GT DMFW. And the 5MT always bogged down in 1st alittle after launch. This is a non issue with a lower 1st gear in the 6MT.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_3842-1.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/100_3839-1.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Yes, I can take one look at those 60' times and say they suck. ;) Sorry... even if you drop .4 sec for a crappy launch, you're still at a crappy launch. You need to be down in the 1.8 times, not 2.x+

And in the 1/4 mile, shifting and "extra" gear makes no difference. You'll finish in 4th gear and most likely you'd be doing the same in a 5MT. I'd love to take a stock Spec B to the track, but so far, I haven't found anyone willing to let me take theirs. :lol:

I have to shift in to 5th for 1\4 mile run. mybe it's that I'm still running GT's size tires. 215-45-17. I think the stock tire size for 05 STi is 225-45-17. When my tires wear out, I'm thinking of going the 235-45-17.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

If you can get that short time down, the rest will follow provided you do not miss a shift. When I first started running my Cobra in 2001 I was pulling 2.4-2.5's. With practice I was pulling 2.0-2.1's on street tires and my ET's dropped.

Also weight reduction.... Run with an 1/8th of a tank, remove the spare tire and jack, stuff like that helps a bit.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

You guys are really jacking w/ things trying to use E/T as an indication of the power he's making.

OP - ONLY worry about the trap speed. And frankly, that AP doesn't show trap speed - it shows MAX speed reached at 1/4 mile. Big difference, as 'trap speed' is the average speed between two lights (or, trap). The AP (and GTech, etc) will show higher 1/4 mile speeds than would a drag strip. I know of no way to convert one to another.

But - based on Road and Track, and other stock-tested LGT's trap speeds showing high 90s, your car 'seems' to be making about the same power as stock...of course, under the conditions in which you've tested.

Did you run the AP on your car w/ the OEM flash? That's really the only way you can determine your HP gains, w/o dyno time doing before and after.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

You guys are really jacking w/ things trying to use E/T as an indication of the power he's making.

+1

What many don't know is ET really doesn't have that much value of how much power he makes. Now trap speed is an indication, but not always true in every aspect either(spinning,etc). Case in point, I have seen 230 rwhp Mustangs run high 12's.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I have to shift in to 5th for 14 mile run. mybe it's that I'm still running GT's size tires. 215-45-17. I think the stock tire size for 05 STi is 225-45-17. When my tires wear out, I'm thinking of going the 235-45-17.

Mike

From what I remember about selling tires back in the day, 235-45-17 will be wider and taller than your current 215-45-17. Im 99% sure, but you +1/-1 to find the right rolling radius. The 2nd number is an aspect ratio of height to width. So a 215 is the width of the tread. The 45 is in ratio to that width. Increase the width and keep the ratio the same and the tire gets taller. Sidewalls get bigger the distance between the rim and the tread. IIRC using that formula these would be compatible sizes in terms or rolling radius:

185/60 r17 <- -3

195/55 r17 <- -2

205/50 r17 <- -1

------------

215/45 r17 <- stock

------------

225/40 r17 <- +1

235/35 r17 <- +2

245/30 r17 <- +3

Try it. Go to a tire shop and have them put a 215/45 r17 side by side next to a 235/45 r17. You'll see the r17 is about an inch taller. This would throw off your spedometer and odometer, as well as any other system that relies on your axle rotations, since the axle has to spin slower for a larger tire, your speed will be faster than what you see on the spedometer, and likewise, your mileage will go up slower. A tire too small makes your spedometer read faster than what you are doing, and the mileage goes up quicker.

Also, because you have an all wheel drive, all the tires have to be the same rolling radius or you'll blow the transmission.

+1

What many don't know is ET really doesn't have that much value of how much power he makes. Now trap speed is an indication, but not always true in every aspect either(spinning,etc). Case in point, I have seen 230 rwhp Mustangs run high 12's.

Yup! Trap speed is just a better indication of power because it's less of a function of driver skill than e/t. That 230rwhp mustang may have ran that high 12s at a 9x mph trap speed - again, 60ft time is the way to get faster e/t's. Making more HP is the way to get higher traps! We've all seen Dragsters spin off the line and coast down the strip to run a 9 second 1/4 mile at 8x mph...all cuz of the launch.

:D

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Yes the spec b is slower because you need to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4mile, and the 0-60 is slower because you shift into 3rd instead of staying in second. Subaru 6 speeds have short ass gears. Get a tune and raise your redline then you could probably stay in 4th in the 1/4mile.

Yes the spec b is slower because you need to shift into 5th before the end of the 1/4mile, and the 0-60 is slower because you shift into 3rd instead of staying in second. Subaru 6 speeds have short ass gears. Get a tune and raise your redline then you could probably stay in 4th in the 1/4mile.

I finished the 1/4 in 4th easily. In fact i think i can goto nearly 110mph in 4th

Wow, i would have thought since you shift into 3rd before 60 that 5th would be needed for 1/4mile. Then your bad times have everything to do with your launch, practice that and you will run the average times, but becareful really good times means really high launchs which= really fast clutch wear. But anything fun you do with a car costs money. I say rape the clutch and have fun.

i launched at 5k ONCE on my stock clutch with the turbo setup and it just about had it. wheras i launched at 3.5k 12 times in about 2 hours at the track and everything was fine.

it engages funny now :p

just be careful.

car for sale. PM me!

The spec b max shifting speeds are:

1st - 33 mph

2nd - 51 mph

3rd - 69 mph

4th - 90 mph

5th - 125mph

Seems you would definitely need to hit 5th for the 1/4 mile in this car unless you really mess up.

These don't seem to be "short ass" gears either as mentioned above. The 5spd max shift points are:

1st - 32 mph

2nd - 54 mph

3rd - 80 mph

4th - not listed

The spec b max shifting speeds are:

1st - 33 mph

2nd - 51 mph

3rd - 69 mph

4th - 90 mph

5th - 125mph

Seems you would definitely need to hit 5th for the 1/4 mile in this car unless you really mess up.

These don't seem to be "short ass" gears either as mentioned above. The 5spd max shift points are:

1st - 32 mph

2nd - 54 mph

3rd - 80 mph

4th - not listed

I mean as far as 6 speeds go, i know AWD cars are a little different than RWD but my T/A could hit the speed limiter at 157mph in 5th gear with 500more rpms to go and 6th gear still left. 2nd and 3rd only go for 18mph, thats a pretty close ratio

its' your launch, even car magazine testers admit they're pretty abusive to MTs when they test 0-60 and 0-100 times for the sports cars they review, if you want good numbers you can't be a pussy about doing the launch, and if you don't want to abuse your tranny/clutch, then don't take it to the dragstrip.

Archived