LegacyGT.com

"Run mode Change System Check"

WTF. This is how my day went. I went to Sears, Home Depot, Touchless Carwash, and Sears(different location). At the last stop (sears) I came back out to my car, and it wouldnt start. It would just click like the battery was dead. But it wasn't, its brand new, reading 12+ volts. and I would get this error in the info screen...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2288660557_e066402ea5_o.jpg

I unplugged the battery, plugged it back in and nothing, still that error. So I called my buddy, and we cleaned the contacts, but still just clicking. Then we though maybe we could jump start it. I bought jumper cables at the hardware store next door, and we tried jumping it. still clicked, so I let it sit for a while, then it started to turn over, but slow and long. all the lights on the dash were very dim, but it didnt click. I tried a second time and it did turn over after a while. According to the manual this error is related to the SI-Drive, and states that it is malfunctioning. After I got it started the car ran fine and switched between I S and S# fine. Any ideas? The only thing I have is HID's and we disconnected them but this still showed up.

I dont want to say the car wash broke it, but it didnt happen until after the car wash. I had shut it off and started it 4 seperate times BEFORE the car wash. And it wouldnt start the first time AFTER the car wash. There was probably a 30 time frame between the car wash and the moment I shut the car off. It sat for no more than 5-10 min before I tried to start it.

P.S. After I got the car home, I shut it off and of course it wouldnt start. I had to jump it. This time it went into a "limp mode". The "S" light was flashing, and it would only stay in 3rd gear. I had to have it towed to the dealer. It idles wierd...

Someone on another forum though it could be the battery. It is brand new, and showed 12+ volts, but he was thinking amps.

Still though, if my buddys truck was running, putting out 14+ volts, my car should have started with ease.

In a way it sounds like you have a bad electrical connection somewhere.

Bad ignition lock or a grounding issue for the battery?

I have had a similar problem and in my case it was the cable between the battery and the starter motor that was bad. Cheap solution to a problem that was really weird!

Anyway - a drop in voltage from the battery below a certain point will cause all kinds of strange errors in electronics.

And it can still be the battery that is broken - and by that I mean that it's not that a cell is shorted, but that there is something broken in a cell which causes it to have a very small surface area in that cell. This will cause the battery to give the correct voltage, but absolutely no punch at all.

453747.png

My car is still at the dealer. They cant find out what is wrong. They claim they are having a hard time with the wiring as I have the aftermarket HID kit. I dont see whats so hard about it. Harness to ballest and bulb. Factory harness to bulb. I've disconnected the harness from the battery, and unplugged the stock harness from the bulbs. I have even removed the headlight fuses, with no effect.

What, did they plug the SSM into the car to diagnose the problem. You shouldnt have told them about the HIDs (if you did) as its just a trail they are going to follow, without starting from the beginning and working forward

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Well Carter, you have photo proof this time.....

I agree I would not have told them about the HID's... maybe you didn't.

As for the rental, I would go to you my.subaru website and read up on the warranty, I believe a rental should be included. Either way paying th $20 for the insurance was a waste, your personal auto insurance covers YOU, so if you wreck your rental YOU are still covered, just as if you wreck your friend's car, their insurance company is gonna come after your insurance company.

Best of luck and keep us updated....

Archived