LegacyGT.com

Tire tread seperation

RoundBoy

I notice my right rear tire was dangerously low on the psi, so I filled it quickly at a local gas station, and monitored it over the next day or so..

Turns out I am leaking a VERY small amount (4 psi a day) ..

I have a pin hole near a curious bulge in the sidewall of the tire... according to the dealer, they have seen quite a number of stock subie tires "inner tread seperate from the tire"

The dealer said that a tire shop would prorate me on the cost of a nwe tire vs what i had 'left' on this tire... but I opted to get it replaced under extended warrenty.

'dealer cost' of a RE-92 is $181 ( ! ) So I can imagine that a random tire shop would charge MUCH more. Just a heads up for those out there... anyone else have curious sidewall bulging ?

the bulge is there, but I did not have any tell-tale sign of rim damag.

The FRONT right tire was replaced recently due to VERY bad pothole damage (rim and tire fubar) .... and it is possible that this tire caught some of the tail end of that... but that was over a month ago.

they will replace this one tire. .. one is brand new as well, the other 2 are going on 13k.

I think I will need to rotate them outside the 'normal' reccomended cycle of the front to back,, and place both new tires in the front (or rear)

I think you can get away with a 1/4 " difference in tread size ??

If you have tires of somewhat different size, put them on the front wheels. becasue of the open diff on the front, that will cause the least amount of damage to the tranny.....i think

1/4" in tread depth is alot.... i think the specs are something like within 1/32"

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived