LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Rally go to NSFW thread and search on my name. I have a few posts about the shifter.

From what I understand the 08 and up STI shifter is the same length as the spec B.

If memory serves me correctly its the stay CP rod that is different.

Check my posts as I put the part number you will need if it does end up being different.

Okay so i read up till page 10. i understand that in my 05 LGt 5mt i can run a 2007+ sti 6mt with my stock drive shaft and rear diff r-160. has anyone done this an added up the cost yet cause i cant read through 36 pages of info

Here, only 1 page, post #1 is all you need. :)http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nsfws-6mt-swap-thread-143520.html?t=143520

I'm post #336, Recipe B - my current cost estimate is ~$4300 when finished including a new clutch and DCCD controller.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Sorry thats what I meant by rear differential member. Since the newer STI/WRX is based on the Legacy, I was wondering if I could get a used one instead of a new spec b one....Both are aluminum and both are supporting an R180.

I'm having a friend measure the distance between the mount on his 13 WRX to see if its the same size as mine. Since I'm on a budget I'd much rather spend $30 on a used STI one rather than $130 on a new spec b mount since its a non-essential part. Thoughts?

Actually if you go back in this thread and look for post by myself or KCWAGON you will see a post about the STI mount. I think that is what he used and if I remember correctly we compared them and they seemed to be the same.

It may be in this thread, hammerdowns thread, groffs, or the stickied 6 speed thread

Sorry thats what I meant by rear differential member. Since the newer STI/WRX is based on the Legacy, I was wondering if I could get a used one instead of a new spec b one....Both are aluminum and both are supporting an R180.

I'm having a friend measure the distance between the mount on his 13 WRX to see if its the same size as mine. Since I'm on a budget I'd much rather spend $30 on a used STI one rather than $130 on a new spec b mount since its a non-essential part. Thoughts?

I can confirm that the 08+ STI aluminum rear diff cradle works great with an R160 AND the R180 - in the LGT.

Since the newer STI/WRX is based on the Legacy, I was wondering if I could get a used one instead of a new spec b one....Both are aluminum and both are supporting an R180.

Yes! They are the same part# 41310AG040.

Kyle "BlackHole"

08+ STi shifter info: Measurements of the arms / control rods - how do these compare to Spec B?

10 3/8" Upper arm, eye-to center of trans mount bolt

10 15/16" Lower arm, shifter socket center to trans mount center

Understand that this is a household tape measure, so measurements may be off by a 16th either way. I also measured a brand new 2012 STi shifter and got the same measurements. And yes, this shifter was in a fire.

The explanatory pic:

P3201249.JPG

QRX8nJwk79dX-bAN3qSmlRgSVS_zCs0eWYo3QhhStpA?feat=directlink

Edited by BlackHole
Kyle "BlackHole"

All the parts have been ordered. I got a good deal on the R180 rear end parts needed, so I'm not using the R160 (would have saved me ~$770).

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff ($5000 total)

Transmission options: 08 STi ($2535)

Rear diff options: 06 STi R180 ($410)

Rear axles: Spec B ($450)

Front axles: Regular LGT ($free)

Driveshaft: 4EAT ($100)

STi flywheel: stock, resurfaced ($165)

misc parts ($300)

DCCD controller ($455)

clutch: DXD Stg 2 Endurance ($575)

Kyle "BlackHole"

All the parts have been ordered. I got a good deal on the R180 rear end parts needed, so I'm not using the R160 (would have saved me ~$770).

Recipe B - 3.54:1 rear diff ($5000 total)

Transmission options: 08 STi ($2535)

Rear diff options: 06 STi R180 ($410)

Rear axles: Spec B ($450)

Front axles: Regular LGT ($free)

Driveshaft: 4EAT ($100)

STi flywheel: stock, resurfaced ($165)

misc parts ($300)

DCCD controller ($455)

clutch: DXD Stg 2 Endurance ($575)

Where did you order all of those parts from? Or were they all separate purchases?

Yes use the 2011 tranny, 2011 rear diff, diff cross member. Get a 4eat drive shaft, spec B rear axels, your existing front axels, 6 speed rubber mount, and dccd pro controller and the other little odds and ends mentioned in OP

Where did you order all of those parts from? Or were they all separate purchases?

I pieced it together - all separate purchases. The 6 speed swap kits on eBay have a lot of the key parts, but you'll still need LGT specific parts.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Anyone know if we can our stock legacy rear axles with a sti rear axle to get the equivalent of the spec b rear axle?

Basically just transplanting the outer diff end part of sti rear axle on to the stock rear axle in case there was any confusion?

TIA,

Anthony

All should well assuming you correctly are matching what you currently have which I believe spec B could be either i think you are the 1.1(3.54) you will have to drill hole for wiring into the housing.....If it doesnt match you could always look into changing rear end so it matches center if dccdc is that important and price on center is right.

There is a link on the first page of this thread that talks about differences in spec b ratios i believe