LegacyGT.com

2005 Outback XT - Boost cut in half?

I was driving my 2005 XT today and when merging onto the highway, I noticed my boost gauge only went to 7psi and the car's performance reflected that. The car usually manages 14-15 psi under full throttle.

There are no check engine lights, the oil is fine, the car idles smoothly. I don't know what is wrong with it. Please tell me it isn't the turbo, I'm planning on getting rid of this thing VERY soon.

The car has a Cobb stage one tune and a Cobb catless uppipe.

Thanks

I was driving my 2005 XT today and when merging onto the highway, I noticed my boost gauge only went to 7psi and the car's performance reflected that. The car usually manages 14-15 psi under full throttle.

There are no check engine lights, the oil is fine, the car idles smoothly. I don't know what is wrong with it. Please tell me it isn't the turbo, I'm planning on getting rid of this thing VERY soon.

The car has a Cobb stage one tune and a Cobb catless uppipe.

Thanks

Is it idling funny?

My guess is a vacuum leak somewhere or possibly the TMIC end tanks or the boost control solenoid.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Nope, it idled just fine. Oil was good too.

The problem rectified itself today on the drive home while doing knock tests on my Torque app. Coincidentally, the milage read 199,666.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to remove the TMIC and make sure I didn't bump anything out of whack when I flushed the heater core. If I find nothing, I'll wait for it to happen again and go from there.

Our cars wouldn't happen to have a temperature related boost limiter would they? The car was up to temperature, as far as I know, but its worth asking.

Nope, it idled just fine. Oil was good too.

The problem rectified itself today on the drive home while doing knock tests on my Torque app. Coincidentally, the milage read 199,666.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to remove the TMIC and make sure I didn't bump anything out of whack when I flushed the heater core. If I find nothing, I'll wait for it to happen again and go from there.

Our cars wouldn't happen to have a temperature related boost limiter would they? The car was up to temperature, as far as I know, but its worth asking.

Nope, no temp cut.

My guess is that you have a sticking boost controller, especially if it's intermittent.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

Where do I find the controller? More importantly, do you know how much a new one will run me?

I can't picture it off the top of my head but it's not terribly big or difficult to get to it. Price should be in the <$100 range iirc.

-Mike Paisan

Archived