LegacyGT.com

Roof rack systems for the Legacy Wagon

sjg

That's 1) strange that they ripped off and 2) more strange the Thule doesn't have a fitment in their fitment guide.

But found these OEM aero bars while searching. Indicates Legacy and Outback fitment.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 10 months later...
So- I have the Thule racks but am probably going to step into these when I get to toronto next month- my only hold back would be if these are like the Thule setup and you cannot push the rear bar all the way to the rear of the track on the rail. The Thule setup maxes out just past the rear door ad I prefer to have a much wider spread for carrying surfboards (only thing I ever rack). Anyone have any ideas?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so...might be a little too late, as ive already purchased these from the dude. But i was thinking the other day(as i was dreaming of my new roof racks) that these are being advertised as 2005 outback racks and made me worry a little bit as i have a 2005 legacy wagon gt. i know that essentially they are the same car, but can anyone confirm 100% that these are gonna work on my lgt wagon?

thanks in advance

on a side note, i just recently purchased thule 440 racks with SR2 adapter pieces with locks that will be no use for me if anyone is interested....

Not sure if they'll work but the Outback does indeed have different roof rails(they're raised as opposed to the the Legacy which is "flush").

If you're patient, kijiji should be fine but you have to keep in mind that's basically like Craigslist for us U.S. guys. I basically gave up on OEM bars and got a hitch instead; though Whispbars look pretty good.

Not sure if they'll work but the Outback does indeed have different roof rails(they're raised as opposed to the the Legacy which is "flush").

Looks like they should fit. The picture shows them on Legacy roof rails.

The foot on a Legacy rack is meant to also grab into the detent on the outside bottom of the rail. Outback rails are open, so that one goes around the bottom of the top edge on an Outback.

Looks like they should fit. The picture shows them on Legacy roof rails.

Looking at that picture, I'd kind of disagree. Compare to the OEM Legacy aero crossbar; http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4088314&postcount=47 That Outback bar on the Legacy doesn't sit as low and there's gaps all over the top part(pressure points and less friction if that's an issue).

This is an Outback crossbar on an Outback:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/parts-accessories-performance/27632d1362164898-oem-cross-bar-woes-pic1.jpg

It may work(as in not fly off), but I don't think it fits as intended.

Looking at that picture, I'd kind of disagree. Compare to the OEM Legacy aero crossbar; http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4088314&postcount=47 That Outback bar on the Legacy doesn't sit as low and there's gaps all over the top part(pressure points and less friction if that's an issue).

This is an Outback crossbar on an Outback:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/parts-accessories-performance/27632d1362164898-oem-cross-bar-woes-pic1.jpg

It may work(as in not fly off), but I don't think it fits as intended.

Took another look at the pic (this time not my tiny phone screen), you're right.

But, I do think that the Subaru Canada dealers have a 'foot' kit for those same aero bars that would make them fit our Legacy rails.

Of note...as I have the CDN Legacy Aero bars on my Legacy GT these are identical to mine. What I think has happened here is that the seller has them placed on the legacy roof rails for this picture and did not attach them...!

Also as you can see in the Outback picture the aero rails are completely different.

I have taken mine on and off many times and I am positive this is the case!

GTW...you're good to go!

J

Thanks guys for the input. I got a notice in the mail today because I missed the delivery. I will be picking them up tomorrow, and I'll know for sure. I don't really trust either the pictures or the seller. Some people don't know the difference between outback and legacy, and pictures can be sourced from anywhere. He said he has 5 sets in total, so who knows where he's gotten these from.

I'll update tomorrow guys.

Johndas, thanks again for the thule box. Love it and can't wait to see it with the oem rails, but unfortunately, I couldn't keep the box on for a permanent basis, clear access to my trunk is too crucial with my work. I've gotta figure out a way to get that box more forward......or..... I've been toying at the idea of altering the hatch....such as a Lambo type swing or a side swing!!! Any thoughts anybody??

I have a Thule Boxter.. fits well enough forward but still allows the hatch to fully open.

Only thing is it hangs over the windshield by a little bit.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/6007307699_977412694e_b.jpg

You can probably Macgyver something up that'll let you swing a handle up and it'll cam the rear roof rail up a bit (using the forward rail as a rotation axle point) and tilt the whole box up from the back... ;)

I have a Thule Boxter.. fits well enough forward but still allows the hatch to fully open.

Only thing is it hangs over the windshield by a little bit.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/6007307699_977412694e_b.jpg

You can probably Macgyver something up that'll let you swing a handle up and it'll cam the rear roof rail up a bit (using the forward rail as a rotation axle point) and tilt the whole box up from the back... ;)

I get a ton of buffeting from the box (and reduced MPG) when I set it that far forward. When I run it with the angle just aft of the windshield - basically so the slip stream runs up the window, and up the face of the box, wind noise and buffeting reduce significantly, and mileage goes up.

I have a Yakima Pro Box 16, which has a much more jutting rear aspect to it versus the other "cambered" rear boxes, so I just put a microfiber towel between the box and the hatch and I'm good to go, even set back to match the flow of the window.

That is a pretty sweet wagon claw, I like how our wagons look with a nice slick box on them. The box I got from johndas is a little longer than that one, and even sliding it as far forward it'll naturally go still doesn't let me fully open my hatch. It wasn't a major concern for john, but I use my wagon for work and I'm in and out with toolbags, cases and wire reels. I knew it was gonna be an issue, but the box was too sweet to pass up.

I thought about altering the box so it latches further forward, but it would be hanging past the top of the windshield quite a bit. So I'm toying on the idea of possibly customizing my hatch so it either swings out and up ala lamboesque or just swinging out straight and horizontal...or just mounting and using the box only when I need it. Which I'm kinda against because of how sweet it looks, and especially when I get it painted to match the body color.

So I was so sidetracked by the sweet picture I forgot to update about the outback racks on a legacy.

The rubber shoes are definitely different, altering them maybe an option, but the outer part of the shoe still won't grab the outer indent.

As it stands right now, I'm gonna see if there are some type of adapter pieces