LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

As long as it is compatible with the Subaru ATF-HP spec, yes. Mobil 1 does not currently list that spec, although I could have sworn it used to.

LE: take a look at this thread. I KNEW they changed their spec sheet because it now no longer lists JWS3309 and I know for a fact it was compatible at some point since I used it on a Mini Cooper S which called for that spec.

The thread has a picture of their quart bottles from a few years ago.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1425392-new-mobil-atf-134-meets-236-a-3.html

It seems ATF-HP was never on the spec list. I do believe Valvoline meets that spec, I know Amsoil does for sure, even Redline I believe.

Edited by fishbone

Define "thinks". Are you saying it stays in the gear before it shifts? Does it continue to rev up while you are feeling that the car loses forward movement? You might be feeling the fact that the transmission is slipping.

It changes off gear then theres a moment that nothing happens and revs go up and then it changes to higher gear . Is that transmission slipping ?

it could be the tcu needs to learn how fast to engage a specific gear.

to check if its slipping use manual mode and go full throttle in each gear for a few seconds .

to get the tcu to learn you need to drive around between 10-15% throttle. and you should reset the tcu before doing so if you can.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

It changes off gear then theres a moment that nothing happens and revs go up and then it changes to higher gear . Is that transmission slipping ?

Yes. But what frank_ster said is also valid, so you need to eliminate the possibility of the trans having learned to shift "lazy" by you having driven it sedate for a long time.

Thank you wishbone for the information. However, that does not answer if I can use it or not. Where can I get the other fluids that I can use with my 5EAT?

I wasn't giving you a straight answer, I was saying it is up to you and to take it for what it's worth. If the fluid you are going to use meets the specification from Subaru, being ATF-HP, then you can use it safely. I was showing you that Mobil 1 used to say it met that spec and then changed the bottle in recent years, with no seeming explanation.

Where do you live? You should find Redline, Royal Purple etc at your local Walmart or any automotive store. Amsoil is only sold through local dealers and you cand find one in your area by going to amsoil.com and look up your zip code.

OR (and this is your easiest option), you can call your local Valvoline oil change service center and ask them if they perform transmission fluid flushes and if they use their synthetic fluid. If they do, then take your Legacy there and have them do it. It will cost you around $100 and take about 30-45 minutes. Done and done!

This is the Valvoline fluid you want

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/137

Hi guys i forgot to ask in my last thread, but I'm going to change the transmission fluid in my 05lgt wagon it only has 29000miles now and fluid isn't really dirty but i just bought it two months ago and for my piece of mind i wanna start fresh,

I heard there is a trans mesh filter in the trans and found a converted oil/trans filter behind the battery , do i change both of those when after i drain then refill ? I just want to maintain and do it the right way any info is much appreciated thank you

how do i know what transmission i have. 2005 legacy GT

Well, either you have a clutch, or you don't. If you have a clutch, here we call that the "5MT" (5 speed manual transmission) - some later models have a 6MT. Otherwise, you have the "5EAT" (5 speed electronic-automatic transmission).

Does that help?

• 2 weeks later...

Throwing P0761 code: shift Solenoid 'C' Performance or Stuck Off... any advice here guys before I go out and drop my pan again... already did a full fluid flush.

is this something that will be repairable on the VB or is it more than likely that I will need a new OEM VB