LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Yeah, sorry, I never checked the HU connector prior to this past weekend. I guess I was just assuming based on build date and Limited trim that I had those wires.

I will check the connector in the footwell to see if I see those wires that come from the trunk connector. I will also try the harness you sent me in the R60 and report back.

Received the wires from SVXdc for the backup camera. Took all about 5 mins. I am using a Pioneer ND-BC6 camera from my previous radio install in the same location as the oem camera would be. I still have to make the line adjustments. Camera looks a little dark but not a big deal.

2012 Legacy LTD (build 01/2012), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires: none

R24 wires: none

R60 wires: none

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/85d5eb7d358bfacec3a1e085ed4f958a.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/f6c3f74a94baf4e9450ba08bdba25401.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/5cfa568db5f8701a19c30a4d508c0d54.jpg

Edited by jojorios
Updated after receiving wires

They are Sumitomo terminals, but I ordered them from another vender in Japan.

I posted the hi-1000 link because it has fantastic close-up pictures and measurements (but it appears they only ship to customers in Japan).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The procedure to get to the setup menu is described the same in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 service manuals, and doesn't seem to work on my car (I had found a procedure for Panasonic head units that worked - I can't find it though... when I got into the service menu, everything looked correct, except the camera features thing wasn't there.)

Please advise on the procedure? Im trying to understand how to get into service/hidden menu for panasonic Audio

Please advise on the procedure? Im trying to understand how to get into service/hidden menu for panasonic Audio
it was in a note on an installation instruction manual for a Panasonic car stereo - unfortunately, Panasonic removed most of the manuals on their site and I can't find out which one. I have been gradually going through the manuals from the Canadian and New Zealand sites, but haven't found it yet. It was a similar combination of turning the volume knob while pressing a couple of buttons, but I can't for the life of me remember the sequence. If I find it, I'll post it up.

it was in a note on an installation instruction manual for a Panasonic car stereo - unfortunately, Panasonic removed most of the manuals on their site and I can't find out which one. I have been gradually going through the manuals from the Canadian and New Zealand sites, but haven't found it yet. It was a similar combination of turning the volume knob while pressing a couple of buttons, but I can't for the life of me remember the sequence. If I find it, I'll post it up.

Thank you! I really need to get into this service menu, I wanna disable parking lines and wording at bottom "Check Surroundings before backing up". Is the procedure document stored somewhere on your pc for any chance?

• 2 months later...

Here's the correct procedure to enter the diagnostics menus on the Legacy/Outback PE6xxU1 head units:

1. Turn key to ACC
  2. Turn HU to audio off
  3. Press and hold HU's preset "1" key
  4. Then also press and hold preset keys 4, 5, and 6 (so end up holding 4 buttons). The order of these 3 doesn't matter, but you must press each one distinctly (you can't mash all 3 simultaneously).
  5. You should see screen titled "System Diagnostic Menu"

1751801210_PE6xxU1DiagnosticMenu1.jpg.34173b99d5df5e6b0b4d1640d5638b59.jpg

6. Option "Confirmation / Adjustment" is highlighted. Press SCROLL/TUNE knob (button) to select.
  7. On next screen, "System .. > Confrimation [sic] / Adjustment" ...

2039052781_PE6xxU1DiagnosticMenu2.jpg.1a10f618e93b3234daf16672d2b4d50b.jpg

use SCROLL/TUNE knob to highlight "Camera System", press knob to select.

8. Next screen shows camera image (or black) with parking guide lines.

1592586501_PE6xxU1CameraAdjust.jpg.19f83078b57e85e6591d23c5571b2265.jpg

9. Use preset buttons 1/2 to adjust lines' angle, 3/4 for up/down, and 5/6 for left/right.
  10. Use SCROLL/TUNE knob to select "OK" to save (or select BACK to discard changes), then press knob.

(so step 4 was the only thing wrong in the older service manuals. When I tried to figure this out myself awhile back, I think I got as far as doing combinations of 3 buttons at once, but not 4)

You can adjust the horizontal and vertical position +/- 20. Moving the horizontal all the way left centers the lines on the screen. The rotation ranges from 1 to 7, with 4 being 0 degrees. The angle does not change much (maybe +/- 5 degrees?).

Note that the lines shown on this setup screen are not the same as those shown in normal operation (compare above picture to Hepy117's in post #94 in this same thread).

The PE627U1 HU does not mirror the camera's image (that is, it does not change the video signal to make it look like the view you would see looking in your rear view mirror). So the HU is relying on the OEM camera to do that itself.

There don't appear to be any options to change the warning text language, or to completely turn off/on the guide lines (as you can on some other Subaru HUs).

You can view the camera adjust screen even if the camera enable pin (#8) is not grounded. However, if the enable pin is not grounded, the 6V power supply will not activate (even if you shift into reverse).

Conversely, with the enable pin grounded, the 6V power will activate in the camera adjust screen, even without shifting into reverse.

I discovered that the PE627U1 keeps the 6V camera power 'on' for about 7 to 8 seconds after you leave that screen, and also in normal rear camera operation after you shift out of reverse. In both cases, the HU immediately changes to the next menu or screen. The extended time may be to allow you to shift into and out of reverse repeatedly, preventing the camera from power cycling (perhaps to accommodate a camera that has a lag at power-up before it displays an image).

The procedure to access the diagnostics menus was corrected in later versions of Subaru's service manuals than what was shown in those I had downloaded awhile back.

Thanks go out to Craig Richards, parts mgr. at Ocean Subaru in NH for the corrected procedure!

Edited by SVXdc
Added: guide lines different in setup mode vs. normal operation; HU does not mirror the image

I experimented with the HU some more, looking to see if it had a key to turn off the guide lines. No luck so far.

I did remember that you can select the language (English/French/Spanish) in normal operation mode. While viewing the rear camera image (car in reverse), press the SCROLL/TUNE knob to adjust brightness, press again to adjust contrast, and again to select language. Still no key there to turn off the lines.

I just noticed that on the Camera System screen, the first line actually says use 1/2 to "select range marking type" (not angle). I'm guessing that was a late change, and originally those keys did select among different styles of lines (as some other Subaru HUs do). Could people with the other models (PE658U1, PE669U1, etc.) check theirs to see if that menu is different?

jojorios updated his post #177 (above) with the image from his Pioneer ND-BC6 camera.

I experimented with the HU some more, looking to see if it had a key to turn off the guide lines. No luck so far.

I did remember that you can select the language (English/French/Spanish) in normal operation mode. While viewing the rear camera image (car in reverse), press the SCROLL/TUNE knob to adjust brightness, press again to adjust contrast, and again to select language. Still no key there to turn off the lines.

I just noticed that on the Camera System screen, the first line actually says use 1/2 to "select range marking type" (not angle). I'm guessing that was a late change, and originally those keys did select among different styles of lines (as some other Subaru HUs do). Could people with the other models (PE658U1, PE669U1, etc.) check theirs to see if that menu is different?

jojorios updated his post #177 (above) with the image from his Pioneer ND-BC6 camera.

I just checked my PE658U1 and I was able to get into Diagnostics just fine. Thank you for the instructions. My menu options are the same as posted above. Do you happen to have a price on the jumper wire with pins and video cable with pins that you made for jojorios? Also, how are people powering their cameras? Just tapping into the backup lights or is there pins to tap into at the receiver that can be added to the harness you make? Thanks again for all the work you put into this SVXdc.

• 1 month later...

I've read through this thread and my head is spinning. I don't think I understand exactly what I need - can someone help out? I understand the technicals of connecting the camera to the HU, but I can't figure out if there is a pre-made harness that I can buy.

I have a 2013 Limited H/K non-nav PE658U1.

Edit: Looks like I'm pre-wired. Am I correct that all I need to do is ground pin 8 @ the HU, and then connect the correct camera components as such:

Pin 11 is 6vdc power for the camera

Pin 13 is the camera ground/shield (the ring of the RCA style video connector)

Pin 14 is the positive camera lead (the tip of the RCA style video connector)

Edited by lushka16

• 2 months later...

All set to hook up the camera (got all the parts a while back... just hadn't had a chance to do the project) - grounded pin 8 using a terminal as described earlier in the thread, stereo goes to the rear view camera "check surroundings" view when I put it in reverse, wired everything into the harness in the trunk (sourced terminals from a used trunk harness I got from someone parting out a wrecked 5th gen), hooked up the camera to test before mounting, and nothing :mad: checked, then double checked the wiring, tried switching things around, verified the voltage output (solid +6V) and nothing.

Concerned the camera was dead (it's a Rydeen Duo - going for the OEM look) ran the wires out to the battery (it comes with really long leads) to give the camera +12V from the battery, and everything works just fine. So apparently the Duo won't work at +6V? The parking lines from the camera are noticeably lighter (haven't defeated them yet) than the ones on the stereo... wonder if the camera is bad? Anyone have a Rydeen Duo that works off +6V properly? I was getting no image at all. Guess I'll grab power from one of the reverse lights, but wasn't planning on having to do that.

• 3 weeks later...
All set to hook up the camera

hooked up the camera to test before mounting, and nothing :mad: checked, then double checked the wiring, tried switching things around, verified the [OEM HU's] voltage output (solid +6V) and nothing.

Concerned the camera was dead (it's a Rydeen Duo - going for the OEM look) ran the wires out to the battery ... to give the camera +12V ..., and everything works just fine. So apparently the Duo won't work at +6V?

I already e-mailed DrD123 awhile back about this, but that Rydeen is obviously a counterfeit.

A real Rydeen will definitely work from 6V, have a serial number, and come in a box with full-color graphics on all 6 sides (and the matching serial number). See this thread.

• 1 year later...

Hey!!!! So doing this install and looking for these pieces hopefully SVXdc sees this.

I was looking for these wires to wire it up. I have the Rydeen mini already. If not I just need to fin the pins to put the wires into the 26 pin harness.

Thanks.

Nate.

7faa9cfe91959d829b4da98ca40eace2.jpg

Received the wires from SVXdc for the backup camera. Took all about 5 mins. I am using a Pioneer ND-BC6 camera from my previous radio install in the same location as the oem camera would be. I still have to make the line adjustments. Camera looks a little dark but not a big deal.

2012 Legacy LTD (build 01/2012), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires: none

R24 wires: none

R60 wires: none

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/85d5eb7d358bfacec3a1e085ed4f958a.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/f6c3f74a94baf4e9450ba08bdba25401.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/28/5cfa568db5f8701a19c30a4d508c0d54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thx for all of the input on installing BU camera. I have 2012 with PE627U1 radio, but all of your discussion talks about pin outs on 2013-14 models. Connection kits also say for 2013-14. What is the difference and will the cable kits fit the 2012 PE627U1?

thx

rubeg

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to add a camera to a 2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited with a PE627U1 radio with a radio build date of July 2011. I grounded terminal 8 , and added a camera signal to terminal 14 with no results. Pin 2 did not have 12V on it so it was added.

Putting the car in reverse did not flip to a black screen or otherwise.

Using the instructions mentioned earlier, I entered the configuration screen and saw the back-up lines as expected. In the Vehicle Signal screen I found the following: ILL+ off, SPD off, REV off, and BODY sdn. Are any of these significant to the issue and can they be changed?

An earlier post suggested a separate terminal strip for the camera but the radio back looks exactly like an earlier post and that terminal strip is not on this model.

What am I missing?

Perhaps related or not, after working with the radio, my Bluetooth no longer recognizes voice commands, but the mic does work on a normal call.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I just pulled my 2014 OB radio out and it looks like my rear view camera is not pre-wired, can someone please confirm?

What are my options? Run cabling as follows:

Camera Power to Pin 11,

Camera Video Ground (RCA Shield) to pin 13 or any chassis ground,

Video signal to Pin 14.

Cross pin 8 to pin 12

What about pin#2 the reverse signal?

m38Q7

8TU1p

lr9hj

IMG_20171224_165224.thumb.jpg.6e4b5ccf06c2438d47289f4bce77e306.jpg

IMG_20171224_224340.thumb.jpg.6170f903c7586c8901557f8817fc6c60.jpg

IMG_20171224_224332.thumb.jpg.05f9afe0591789c6fe236dd8e6ac7ddd.jpg

Edited by 14subi

Looks like you have pin 2 already wired up (for the reverse signal) but as you indicated, it's not prewired for video (pins 11-14 are not wired) - if you ground pin 8, then when you go into reverse, the screen should go to the camera.

In my 2013 Legacy Sport with the base radio. I found that the camera wiring existed at the connection to the trunk harness (located just in front of the trunk's right hinge) and it ran forward to the footwell of the front passenger side but no further. I found the harness connector by removing the kick panel just in front of the door opening and the door threshold cover trim and finding the correct color coded wires. I bought and swapped in the correct camera ready harness on the trunk. Then I ran wires from the footwell to the radio for the power, signal, and signal ground. I used Cat5e wire as that is what I had handy. I used automotive crimp-on wire taps to attach to the existing harness instead of cutting and splicing or adding pins to the existing plugs. At the radio I used an RJ45 plug mated to an RJ45 jack in my adapter harness so I could disconnect the camera wiring to go back to the original radio if needed. I had to make an adapter harness to mate up to the different radio (PE627U1).