LegacyGT.com

Gas gauge

Well the gas gauge on my 97 has gotten worse, probably from sitting without driving for 4.5 months.

On the last two fill ups I find that the needle rests on E but it still has about 5 gallons remaining.

Has anyone had any luck with putting MMO in the gas tank to loosen up the mechanism?

In anticipation of needing to remove the fuel meter unit, I have been applying PB blaster once in a while on the very rusted retaining nuts. I DO NOT want to bust one of those bolt/nut arrangements but I fear that because of the rust when removing the nut there will be a sheared off bolt.

So I am hoping that some MMO may remove some crude from the unit.

Of the 3 subbies I've owned 100% have had not very good fuel measurement.

these cars are notorious for reading low. I honestly thought they were designed that way.

All 4 I have owned read like that. Cars ranging from 110k to 265k. Every one I have owned will read E with 4+ gallons left in the tank. My current 97 GT sedan takes about 11.5 gallons from E to F. on a 15.9 gallon tank.

I've run additives through several, Sea Foam and others. I never noticed a change in tank readings after running them.

If you take out the sending unit and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser it will cure the issue for a couple months.

I pretty much just use the tripmeter now, its easier than pulling the pump out all the time.

My light came on last night on my way home. I filled up when I got to work, maybe 8 miles after the light came on. Took 13.9 gallons, so about 2 left. Sounds like it's working ok for me. But man my needle was WAY below E.

i know of those hatches but my nuts look like piles of rust. In anticipation of eventual removal (gas sending unit or fuel pump) I've been spraying PB Blaster on the nuts in hopes when the time comes for removal, I won't snap off a nut.

I'm not sure I like the risk / reward to try to remove the gas sending unit. Snap a nut off and I have a much bigger problem than a wacky gas gauge.

I haven't looked at the nuts in a while and maybe I'll take a look.

Pull the sending unit out and clean it up. They have access hatches back there. Worth a try...

i agree,

don't mess with the sending units.

reset the trip gauge every time you fill up.

you will soon learn when you need to buy gas.

someone suggested that letting the car sit with an empty tank for a LONG time contribute to the problem.

a full tank will keep the sending unit submerged.

so add some techron and fill the tank and let it sit for a weekend.

Good idea - I'll give it a try next weekend.

"a full tank will keep the sending unit submerged.

so add some techron and fill the tank and let it sit for a weekend"

i agree,

don't mess with the sending units.

reset the trip gauge every time you fill up.

you will soon learn when you need to buy gas.

someone suggested that letting the car sit with an empty tank for a LONG time contribute to the problem.

a full tank will keep the sending unit submerged.

so add some techron and fill the tank and let it sit for a weekend.

my nuts look like piles of rust.

:lol:

both my legacys hit E way before empty. its been a long road teaching my kids that the E doesnt mean they are out of gas. it will hit theE at like 220 miles, and the light wont come on until after 300ish miles. at the light, it will take about 13.5 gallons to fill. at the E it will take like 9ish if i remember correctly.

I guess watching the odometer is the way to go for now. Although the gauge seemed to be keeping the needle higher yesterday. Not sure if it is the 90 degree weather or the MMO working. Ha I'll probably go out today and see the needle has started to sink.

:lol:

both my legacys hit E way before empty. its been a long road teaching my kids that the E doesnt mean they are out of gas. it will hit theE at like 220 miles, and the light wont come on until after 300ish miles. at the light, it will take about 13.5 gallons to fill. at the E it will take like 9ish if i remember correctly.

Force of habit but when I fill up I reset my trip odometer watching both it and the fuel level gauge. Probably because my old 96 L had a weird fuel level gauge.

I also hate the low fuel light. Mine doesn't like to come on until I'm almost totally empty. Both Legacies I've owned did this. It's supposed to come on with 3 gallons left.

• 3 months later...

Archived