LegacyGT.com

Cat back or just the cans

Do mufflers/axle-back.

All the aftermarket cat-backs are for the LGT anyway. They fit, but the piping is usually 2.5" or 3" which makes our cars lose torque which would be undesirable for a daily driver.

A "good pick" would depend on your budget.

Yeah I read that somewhere on here about them being too big.

My budget would probably be under 600$ but if something is exceptionally good I could always save a bit to purchase that. I just don't have the automotive background to figure out what is good and what is just not worth it.

Here's a thread I made that might help you out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-audio-video-clip-compilation-thread-2-5i-edition-130408.html

There's not too many axle-backs that are a direct fit for our cars. Perrin used to make them, but looking at their site it's no longer there. Now I can only think of AVO, but they're $699 new. Quite pricey for an axle-back but the quality is there. I've got a set myself, but luckily I got mine used for $350. Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds if you're patient.

Otherwise it might be best to just get a pair of universal mufflers and get an exhaust shop to weld them on for you. That was my original plan anyway. I was debating between Magnaflow and Vibrant Performance. Both companies have a good rep, it just depends on your preference on tip/muffler design.

Just a quick reminder. W/O unequal header mod you will not get a "Traditional Subaru Boxer Rumble" If this is the goal, mufflers alone will not do the trick.

Here is a N/A subaru with header mod. He is here can't remember member name :confused:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmcMrp_1YRY&feature=related]YouTube - XO2 Mufflers on NA legacy with EJ20K exhaust manifold[/ame]

it might be best to ... exhaust shop ... Magnaflow and Vibrant Performance. Both companies have a good rep, it just depends on your preference on tip/muffler design.

^This. Will definately be under OP's budget (I'm guessing at least $100) and a Magnaflow/Vibrant setup will also be resaleable if you want to go back to oem. Good purchase all around.

^My NY brohan, if exhaust shops out there are anything like shops out here, just roll down the exhaust shop and talk with them. They should have a lot of different mufflers ready to go. The reason to go Magnaflow or Vibrant is to stick with major name brand and know what you are going to get - something that will not degrade on you.

If not, find a bigger shop. Work should be warrantied. (more of an issue in the snowy ne)

Well I was looking on both Magnaflow and Vibrant's website they dont have Subaru specific mufflers, so what would be a good pick. Most people here would have better ideas of choices than I would.

So would there be alot of fabrication to add on the uneven headers or off of the WRX do they just bolt on.

I thought from 06 and up you couldnt add the uneven headers?

They dont have Subaru specific mufflers, but they have univeral mufflers. That's why you gotta take it to an exhaust shop to have them welded on.

Here's the direct links to the universals, just pick your muffler/tip style:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/streetmufflers.asp

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1031_1108_1196

Adding UEL headers on 06+ will involve some custom exhaust manifold work as well. If you're gonna go that route you might as well get it done with the mufflers at the same time so the shop can give you a package deal or something.

Here's a well documented write-up on a UEL header install on a 2.5i Impreza. It'll be the same story on a Legacy anyway:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076358&page=4

I have a post so where about 2 magnaflow universal mufflers that fit. And there is a sound clip too. Honestly since your not going to get performance out of it i would not recomend spending over 3 to 400 bucks. Ill post the thread when i find it..

Now what kind of fabrication should I expect the shop to have to do with the headers? Ive read over a few of the threads for the UEL headers, but just want to be clear with the techs who will have to work on my car.

Well you can follow my first UEl setup or wait till I have my Fab appointment at Mach V here in VA next week. I will detail the other UEL method :spin:

Reason I posted was so people don't assume all Subaru's "Turbo and N/A" sound the same after a muffler swap. I had people come up to me with N/A's trying to get the sound I have.

Very good Point we can get close but we (N/A) will never be as smooth as you Ej255'ers. We have to be extra careful with muffler selection and we need to employ the right CAT(s) and resonators

Yea too late now haha...Im looking at the magnaflow cans right now, but there are about 70+ options to chose from. What are good ones to pick? I wish they had sound clips, plus what inlet/outlet sizes should I chose?

Too many questions I bet. Sorry everybody, hard to search for everything you need to know before a purchase. But thanks for all the help, I havnt had a car before this one that was worth modding. Before this I had a 2004 ford focus (POS) haha

Car clubs are your best bet to hear in person. It took me 4 custom setups to get what I wanted. My 1st car was an 02 neon sxt but that didn't stop me from trying to mod it. YouTube has a few clips but in person or gut feeling is all you have to go off of. No shop will guarantee it will sound good.

Archived