LegacyGT.com

5EAT Trans Cooler Placement

BlueChem

With the setup that I am running, the FMIC leaves the TMIC position open. I was wondering if the space would be good to mount a transmission cooler. The core of my FMIC is large, and extends halfway into my grill area. I am worried that it may restrict air flow to the cooler. If this is a terrible idea, are there any other places that would be logical for mounting?

• 3 weeks later...
It would work fine. Arguably, it could even be a slight benefit, since radiant turbo/engine bay heat would warm the cooler when ambient temps are low. But in reality it probably will end up not mattering significantly either way where you put it, as long as you put it somewhere.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I told you I was wanting to stick with a TMIC but the more and more I think about it, the more I might just go FMIC.. and I do like your idea of relocating it.

I think though, it might be a bit too close to your turbo for heat soak, even though your engine bay doesn't get as hot as mine. Turbo blanket, and a heat shield. I think next time I'm home, I'm going to try to design a bracket to mount that tranny cooler there.. or if you find a place to make one, let me know, I'm getting pretty interested in this

Thanks for all of the input guys. I now have more questions to answer with the new scoop info. I am now reconsidering my whole setup, but I guess that is normal. I like the aesthetics of the scoop, but am plagued with the idea that it has to be functional.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I now have more questions to answer with the new scoop info. I am now reconsidering my whole setup, but I guess that is normal. I like the aesthetics of the scoop, but am plagued with the idea that it has to be functional.

My first Subaru, a 2.2 liter naturally aspirated Impreza hatch :wub:

had a hood scoop that was not functional, OEM. Fact is if you put a solid sheet over the underside of the hood inlet to stop air flowing in/out, and you do so for the purpose of improving cooling efficiency, then you've done an upgrade to your car. If you have emotional turmoil over that, well that's a whole other matter.

If you're not going to push your car on a race track for extended periods of time, then you're wasting your time even thinking about it. There is no shame in being proud owner of a performance street car. Race car's are really great and all, until you find yourself wondering why the heck you ruined your perfectly good street car making it track worthy. Ask me how I know...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I too love the scoop. But with coolant temps becoming uncontrollable we had to do some more testing. Once we closed off the scoop, temps were back under control. Air coming in the open scoop was causing a "pillow" of high pressure to form. So high that it reduced the efficiency of the radiator fans to almost nothing.

I spoke with the owner of possibly the most famous Subaru race team in the USA (if not the world). He told me that my suspicions were correct and that they too block the scoops on their race team cars.

I too love the scoop. But with coolant temps becoming uncontrollable we had to do some more testing. Once we closed off the scoop, temps were back under control. Air coming in the open scoop was causing a "pillow" of high pressure to form. So high that it reduced the efficiency of the radiator fans to almost nothing.

I spoke with the owner of possibly the most famous Subaru race team in the USA (if not the world). He told me that my suspicions were correct and that they too block the scoops on their race team cars.

Great info. Was this with the stock plastic engine cover (aka TMIC air guide) in place?

I assume some folks here read the article from Autospeed where they rigged up a cheap mechanical pressure sensor that could detect and display pressure / vacuum wherever the device's sensor hose was placed (in ducting, behind radiator, in front of radiator, under car, anywhere).

Found it: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112920/article.html

I had that exact gauge a couple years ago, but never got around to using it, and now it's gone :(

No engine cover. Car running FMIC (big hole under scoop). Splash/skid tray still installed. Never saw the article (good read though).

I have spoken with engineers in the past who swore the engine cover was integral in the design of the TIMC and overall cooling efficiency. I believe this to be true when running a TMIC. Engine cover and splash tray in place to create proper air flow for proper cooling. In our own limited tests this appears to hold true.

No engine cover. Car running FMIC (big hole under scoop). Splash/skid tray still installed. Never saw the article (good read though).

I have spoken with engineers in the past who swore the engine cover was integral in the design of the TIMC and overall cooling efficiency. I believe this to be true when running a TMIC. Engine cover and splash tray in place to create proper air flow for proper cooling. In our own limited tests this appears to hold true.

For a TMIC, I too am sure it is very important. I too have seen the difference, repeatedly. I wonder how much of a difference it makes with the engine cover installed, but no TMIC fins/routing 2.5" lower below engine cover bottom.

As I'm sure you already know, engine trays are important not just for engine bay airflow, but also for lowering vehicle drag. I learned this the hard way with my old Lexus. MPG goes down without it. Casual reading on the topic verifies an increase in drag. Another fun fact: Lowering a car usually reduces drag :spin:

Yes. Tray is important. At high speeds (see excess of 130mph) you can feel the lift caused by not having the tray on.

Never tested with engine cover and no tmic. Usually FMIC piping interferes at that point. Another variable to be tested though.

We like to remove the fogs and duct air to coolers (like oil) mounted in front of the wheels (inside fender cover still). Stops from running full brake ducts, but allows for oil coolers and tranny coolers to not be trapped between the FMIC core and the radiator while still receiving cool air flow, not adding heat where it is objectionable and keeping center of gravity low.

Archived