LegacyGT.com

Coil pack failing?

my cylinder 4 misfire was a burnt valve 2k job , check for loose connections and replace the plugs. but get a compression test / leak down before dropping money into anything. i have 100k miles stage 3

1. Check to make sure it's seated properly first

2. Check plug for signs of cracking (it happened to me and finally threw a CEL)

3. Check plug gap

4. Swap coil pack with another cylinder and see if CEL follows it

5. Swap injector with another cylinder and see if CEL follows it

6. Compression and/or Leakdown Test

What my tuner thought was a misfire due to a failed ringland & a cracked piston was really just a failed #1 coil pack causing a misfire.

So heed these horror stories because they do happen, but don't start to worry until you've tried the easy stuff. For me, it was moving the offending coil pack to a different cylinder and having the misfire follow it around (what compsurge said) that led me to replace it.

My 5MT car has 94,000 on it, Stage 2 for about 30k prior to my ownership, 3 of 4 original coil packs that I know of. The "new" one we put in was from a 122k OBXT.

My 5eat car has 97k, original coil packs, bone stock.

So 1-4 done per Compsurge suggested. I actually found that I had the -11 version of the one step colder plugs, so they were gapped wrong.

Plugs replaced and new coil pack on #4, it ran great for about 10 miles then threw the CEL again.

The roughness count is sometimes steady and at other times counts up like crazy.

I guess injector next then pressure and leak test.

Plugs looked good, otherwise? I had dropped my package from about 2 feet and apparently that was enough to cause one of my plugs to develop a crack in the porcelain. Swapped that plug out and problem solved.

Yours sounds like it could be an injector. If one is bad, you can buy a new one or see if sending them for a cleaning will solve it. Depends if you have down time.

• 6 years later...

I switched spark plugs, coil packs (both new and tire old one) and still have the same results. Again I'm not sure if it is a plug and coil problem or injector....ect. I've cleaned the MAFS. Its' still idling rough and code reads misfire cylinder #3.

I guess the next step is swap the #3 injector and see if the code follows. Anyone have any other suggestions. I leaning towards doing a compression leak down test as well.

Archived