LegacyGT.com

Stupid noob ?, but how do I know if I have sub? plus 1 more

blackturboblack

I have the original window sticker. Says nothing about stereo except it has 6 disc "stack" changer in dash. How would I tell if it's premium system with sub? It's '08 Ltd, so it has the leather moonroof, etc.

Also, it's wired for sat radio, whatever that means. My old car had after market sirius with antenna on trunk and head stuck to windshield. I salvaged the dock and unit after wreck. I'm wondering how and if this can be wired into the existing system. My audio knob has a sat setting. I'd like to keep the sirius because I can take the unit inside and hook up to my home stereo. Thanks in advance.

Guest heightsgtltd

Sub would be under the drivers seat unless it changed locations since the 05 model.

IF you move the seat forward, it will show itself from rear foot well.

If you have nav, no sub. Both go under drivers seat. Take a look. The "sub" is really nothing more than a little rumble for your seat. The sat radio wiring is there for the antennae (behind HU and behind map lights) and for the OEM module to plug into the HU. Might have trouble integrating with it. The antennae wires could be used with another brand (but you might have to modify the connections). No way you are going to get a dock style receiver to integrate into the OEM HU. OEM Sirius is $300.

I think the factory sub can be installed at either driver or passenger side seat. Just turn the bracket upside down and bend it a little in order to fit if installation calls for driver side and you put on passenger instead.

If you have nav, no sub. Both go under drivers seat. Take a look. The "sub" is really nothing more than a little rumble for your seat. The sat radio wiring is there for the antennae (behind HU and behind map lights) and for the OEM module to plug into the HU. Might have trouble integrating with it. The antennae wires could be used with another brand (but you might have to modify the connections). No way you are going to get a dock style receiver to integrate into the OEM HU.

Thanks. No, no NAV. What's HU? And are you telling me there's a sat antenna integrated in the body? Where's that little bump I always see? And trust me, it can be integrated. it's only simple electronics. Might need a capacitor here or there. I'm more interested in the fact that I may not have to put one of those lame aftermarket antennas on my ride.

HU is head unit (sorry). The wiring is there for the antennae, but no antennae. One end is behind the HU, the other is behind the map lights (at your forehead). OEM sat package comes with receiver (mounts under HU behind dash) and antennae (mounts to inside windshield above passenger head). The antennae wires should be uasble with another antennae, just need to modify because of the plug ends. The sat reciever plugs directly into the wiring harness via a splitter. So, integrating an aftermarket receiver into the OEM HU is more than resistors. You will need a detailed schematic of the internal wiring of the HU, OEM sat receiver and new receiver to make sure all the connections will work. Then there is the issue of exactly how/what language the HU and receiver are using to communicate. Not just dialing in the station, but the info that comes with it as well.

HU is head unit (sorry). The wiring is there for the antennae, but no antennae. One end is behind the HU, the other is behind the map lights (at your forehead). OEM sat package comes with receiver (mounts under HU behind dash) and antennae (mounts to inside windshield above passenger head). The antennae wires should be uasble with another antennae, just need to modify because of the plug ends. The sat reciever plugs directly into the wiring harness via a splitter. So, integrating an aftermarket receiver into the OEM HU is more than resistors. You will need a detailed schematic of the internal wiring of the HU, OEM sat receiver and new receiver to make sure all the connections will work. Then there is the issue of exactly how/what language the HU and receiver are using to communicate. Not just dialing in the station, but the info that comes with it as well.

Hmmm. Antenna INSIDE the car? On the glass? Interesting. BTW, thanks for all the insight you've provided. An hour or so with a multi-meter will identify all wires and we'll go from there. I don't think it'll be to hard. 'Course if there's a plug...:spin:

Satellite radio is pre-wired. What you need is buy satellite receiver, small size and piggy back behind the factory HU. There are wires behind the HU for the receiver to hook up Plus there is another pre-wire for connect the satellite antenna (come with the satellite receiver) inside the overhead consol where the map lights are. What it needs is stick the antenna in the right upper conerner of inside windshield, then run the wire to the overhead consol to connect.

In my opinion the satellite radio receiver is way too expensive, so lots of Subie owners buy the aftermarket one.

Satellite radio is pre-wired. What you need is buy satellite receiver, small size and piggy back behind the factory HU. There are wires behind the HU for the receiver to hook up Plus there is another pre-wire for connect the satellite antenna (come with the satellite receiver) inside the overhead consol where the map lights are. What it needs is stick the antenna in the right upper conerner of inside windshield, then run the wire to the overhead consol to connect.

In my opinion the satellite radio receiver is way too expensive, so lots of Subie owners buy the aftermarket one.

Yep. Had my alarm upgraded @ subie and talked to the guy. I already have the reciever. He has the antenna and all conections. Just have to use FM modulator instead of setting on HU. BFD, I'll have my sat. Thanks again.

Archived