LegacyGT.com

what could it be if i'm having trouble shifting into 1st and 2nd?

el scorcho

going on 24k...i don't even drive it that hard...sigh.

Don't think it's synchros as the double-cone synchros are pretty durable. Given the symptoms, and your mileage, I'd change out the fluid with fresh tranny fluid, specifically made for our type of synchros. If that still doesn't change anything, then look at the possibility of misaligned shifter /or bad shifter bushing. Was this upgraded with an STI SSK? Factory installed STI or subsequent STI or other AM SSK? Can you replicate it every time? If so, can you work around it by holding left or right tension on the shifter as you go through the shift pattern? If you can then it's very likely in the linkage.

Do you have any way to jack it up on stands or a lift and check out the linkage? Could be as simple as a small rock lodged at the right place (unlikely - but I know of one incidence of this over the years). If everything looks good with the shifter linkage, then I'd start looking at the clutch slave cylinder to throw-out bearing lever arm to make sure that that's okay, then the clutch itself TOB, PP and FW.

BTW - are you getting any noise from the drivetrain when you let the clutch out in neutral or while engaged in any gears?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived