LegacyGT.com

Odd brake smell???

vduber

The last few times I have been out on the highway driving spirited, I have had this really bad brake smell after getting on the brakes( And truthfully I wasn't even getting on the brakes that hard at all). It doesn't happen when im slowing from 65 or 70 but more or less between 80-90 down to 60 or 70. Like I said I really wasn't on the brakes that hard but I guess at those speeds slowing 20-30mph generates a large amount of heat? I'm just curious if this happens to everyone else or is it something I should be worried about? I also got some shuttering but that time was about the only time I had to decelerated at a moderate speed due to heavy traffic infront of me. I was going to be getting new pads soon but after haveing that smell/shutter I was wondering if I should go with a BBK? That would also deffinately help firm up brake pedal feel if I went bbk, I know alot of question but any help would be appreciated.

Yeah slowing from that speed will certainly create lots of heat, figure you're slowing down 3500lbs! :eek: Some smell should expected depending on your circumstances, but if it's over powering for a long period of time, I'd suspect a sticky caliper. Depending on your brake compound, stock versus A/M anything is possible! The shudder when braking is, in my experience, from hard use of the brakes, and signifies a warped/out of round brake rotor. You live in the city, so yeah you use the brakes a lot!! Not your fault, but you may want to upgrade.

Archived