LegacyGT.com

Engine/Turbo whine?

Hey guys,been lurking for a while and decided to finally join. I bought an 05 Legacy GT wagon two summers ago and have recently got all the 100k mile work done on it. I now have 110k on it and over the past week when accelerating my engine/turbo? are whining very loudly, and once i let off the gas the whining goes away. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what this may be.

Thanks for you help

Check the two bolts that hold the tmic to the turbo give tham a little snug. Mine loosen over time.

But if yours has never been off that may not be the issue.

In general these turbos have a live span, you are at that time when its smart to replace it.

Where in Ct are you ?

Is the car a 5mt or 5eat ?

The first thing after making sure the bolts are snug, is a boost leak test., you might want to zip tie all the vacuum hose too.

If you've been reading for a while you should know what to do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Check the two bolts that hold the tmic to the turbo give tham a little snug. Mine loosen over time.

But if yours has never been off that may not be the issue.

In general these turbos have a live span, you are at that time when its smart to replace it.

Where in Ct are you ?

Is the car a 5mt or 5eat ?

The first thing after making sure the bolts are snug, is a boost leak test., you might want to zip tie all the vacuum hose too.

If you've been reading for a while you should know what to do.

Forgot to mention its a 5eat

EFI is down in that area if and when you need Tuning.

If it comes to it, do you have a plan for a turbo ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

EFI is down in that area if and when you need Tuning.

If it comes to it, do you have a plan for a turbo ?

Thanks. And not really. I would most likely want to keep it stock. I am moving into NYC within the next few months and will just be keeping the car for when i am back in CT. How would you recommend i go about that if necessary?

Not a big fan of the vf40. There are a few places, sixstarspeed.com that has turbos for these cars, a few of the guy's have bought from them.

You really need to decide what your goals are. If you only ever want to stay stock then that's fine.

We all recommend you get the car off the stock MAP. If in fact your turbo is going out, you want to replace it before something bad happens.

You need to have a boost leak done to verify no leaks. Then pull the DP and check the turbo for shaft play.

I went vf52 with stock fueling, it's my DD and is a blast to drive. Gets good MPG as long as I keep it out of boost on the highway.

I have 50,000 miles on the vf52.

Also these cars like to be driven, not a good short drive around town car.

Yes, true. But if your going to get tune, you might as will get a little better turbo for the same basic money.

• 6 months later...
Thanks. And not really. I would most likely want to keep it stock. I am moving into NYC within the next few months and will just be keeping the car for when i am back in CT. How would you recommend i go about that if necessary?

My recommendation from experience is DO NOT buy a used turbo. I did and got a broken turbo. Spend a bit extra and get a custom built VF40 for just a bit more jack than a used unit.

I ended up going with a custom (VERY CUSTOM) build VF40 by John Peirce. You can see detailed info on the turbo's features on page 6 of my build thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261p6.html?highlight=chronicles

PM John for details/cost his user name is: JmP6889928

John's a great guy and would love to build one up for you. :)

My recommendation from experience is DO NOT buy a used turbo. I did and got a broken turbo. Spend a bit extra and get a custom built VF40 for just a bit more jack than a used unit.

I ended up going with a custom (VERY CUSTOM) build VF40 by John Peirce. You can see detailed info on the turbo's features on page 6 of my build thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261p6.html?highlight=chronicles

PM John for details/cost his user name is: JmP6889928

John's a great guy and would love to build one up for you. :)

Cloudseed hasn't yet got the opportunity to run it, but, he will soon, and he'll love it as much as I love mine. Been 4000-ish pretty kick-ass miles.

It's got the perfect amount of power and is well within VF52 territory.

Archived