LegacyGT.com

Clutch rattle?

Looking to see if anyone has a similar symptom.

While accelerating I get a breif rattle at low revs - around 1 to 1.5k rpm. Seems to be coming from the middle of the car and only noticeable with the window down.

It happens in every gear, so is tied to rpm. However It does not make a noise while the car is revved stationary.

My guess is something loose on the clutch plate - any ideas?

check your heat shield. Between exhaust pipe and drive shaft.Last time I have a big chunk of ice stuck between shield and drive shaft .From drifting in deep snow LOL. Slide under the car and try to tap the shield.It's wort a try.

Looking to see if anyone has a similar symptom.

While accelerating I get a breif rattle at low revs - around 1 to 1.5k rpm. Seems to be coming from the middle of the car and only noticeable with the window down.

It happens in every gear, so is tied to rpm. However It does not make a noise while the car is revved stationary.

My guess is something loose on the clutch plate - any ideas?

How many miles on the car? Original clutch ? If it is a more solid "clacking" it is the clutch if it is a more thin sheet of metal rattle could be a heat shield.

150k on car, clutch and gearbox replaced with a new OEM unit by PO at 100k.

Its not the usual heat shield rattle I have had on previous cars. Sounds more like a chirpy rattle.

The other reason I ruled out the heat shield is that it doesn't happen when the car is stationary. Seeing as a clutch plate will rotate at the same rpm in every gear when the car is actually moving regardless of mph it has me thinking that it may be the cause.

Archived