LegacyGT.com

Can't see the classifieds

OK I know I'm new and all, but even if one can't post in the classifieds, shouldn't one at least be able to look at them? They don't even appear in my list of forums, and if I use google to find the link to the Cars for Sale forum, I get this error:

tonyyikes, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Not trying to post; Just trying to view. Is this an error, or by design?

Thanks from a former Outback & soon to be Legacy GT owner,

Tony

I wonder if the only way to limit people posting to said forum is to refuse access altogether?

Ah, that might be it. I did some digging over on the vBulletin support forum and it looks like it might be a bit challenging to have one without the other.

It's not like 10 posts is all that hard to get to. Start a "New Members" thread, comment on a few threads in the forum for whichever generation you're about to buy, post a couple replies in your regional forum, etc, etc.

It'd probably take you all of 5 minutes, if that. You're already 20% of the way there just from this thread.

Oh I'm comfortable not posting in the section until I make the minimum post count. I'm not particularly concerned about the 10 posts limitation, just the issue that I mentioned.

I suppose that in the rules, the phrase 'participate in a Car or Sale thread' could loosely be interpreted as 'view a Car or Sale thread'. :rolleyes:

I did search before I posted and it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Not a biggie though, and the workaround is pretty painless.

And now it's 30% there. ;)

Yes, we locked out the classifieds to new members who haven't hit 10 posts yet.

Once you hit 10 posts, it should unlock for you.

This is a recent change that we did to the forum coding.

I don't see the harm in letting everyone view the classifieds. In fact I just followed a link from a Google search to a group buy thread that might have had some useful information, but just got the insufficient access instead. I wasn't even trying to buy anything - just doing product research.

You can't let newly registered members (under 10 posts) view the classifieds but not post. I don't think that's in the VB coding.

I think the classifieds are open to 'guests' so open up the site as a guest and look at them. Guests certainly can't post anything... which is obvious.

Kill off your cookies, etc, and log in and try it out.

You probably ought to change the wording of the rules, unless you want to depend upon the members' comfort with the, ah, rather flexible interpretation of 'participation', or clarify the verbiage. Seems it's been an issue for a while now, from what I've read.

I knew I wasn't crazy. I've been frequenting the classified the past couple days looking for a car myself and when I went back in through my history it was blocked.

Just another thought. As long as you're doing 10 posts, it may not be a bad idea to make it 10 meaningful posts. Otherwise like on other forums you have some idiot running around in picture thread or the like saying "Nice car" and padding numbers.

Just another thought. As long as you're doing 10 posts, it may not be a bad idea to make it 10 meaningful posts. Otherwise like on other forums you have some idiot running around in picture thread or the like saying "Nice car" and padding numbers.

I'm not sure how you can quantify a "meaningful post" and write/install something to check posts for it. For example, I'd like to think this post is a meaningful one so far, but then I might go do something ridiculous and post a rabbit with a pancake on its head.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K1u-RlPhFRo/UDfcTVuU1yI/AAAAAAAAAuM/d6__r1912ho/s1600/PancakeRabbit.jpg

Is it still meaningful?

Archived