LegacyGT.com

My wife is looking at getting a new car soon, and the 2.5's hp is just not enough power. We originally thought the new Forester was the way to go, but the severe lack of power with 5 adults in a limited shot that plan. We then test drove an XT Limited, and the "cosmoline" smell nearly caused her to hurl right there on the highway. The nail in the coffin was the average of 12.6 mpg on premium fuel. She wants the AWD, and my only hope of switching her to Subaru is the 3.0R Limited. We are in a position to try for a 2008, order a 2009, or wait for the 2010 refresh. Since the rumors are the 6 cylinder is going away for 2010, we aren't keen on waiting too long. From the research I've done, I cannot seem to find a difference in engines between 2008 and 2009. Can anyone confirm that no tweaks to the engine were made between 08 and 09? As far as I can tell, the only changes were cosmetic and radio. There are rebates on the 2008's. Either case, I think she will be happy with the power. And just so I am clear, wife's car = no mods. Any thoughts?

Where did you hear the rumor of the 6cyl going away in 2010? I can't imagine that would happen since all Legacy competitors have a 6 cyl option. I don't think much "official" 09 info is out yet, to base your research on, but I would bet there are no significant changes to any of the engines in the Legacy lineup for 09. All new cars have strong smells which largely go away after a few months. Sounds like the main upgrade for the 09 Legacy/Outback is going to be the upgraded stereo's in all but base models. Consensus is the 09 model run should be very short. I think the 3.0 should be a nice choice for the wife and the pricing is very competitive.

Got home from the test drive. The 3.0R Limited is the definite way to go. Power and acceleration was smooth. Drove just like my 07 2.5 except with more power (duh!). They are going to "put together an offer" on an 08 that has been sitting on the lot for 2-3 months (only 78 miles and much of that was the drive to the dealer). I have a hunch it will be over invoice, which just wont do.

Edmunds has the article dated 5/23/08 with the rumors about engine options for 2010. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126468 Some other sites say the same thing, but they could just be regurgitating the same rumors.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88973 discusses the Edmunds article

My wife does like the engine pur under acceleration.... She also wants to know that when she hits the pedal getting onto the highway, the car is going to respond. She feels safer in a stronger engine. She does not feel safe driving mine. I say "Yes dear.":)

With car sales in the tank and the 09's on the way, you should be able to get an 08 for way under invoice. They might try to tell you it's a rare car but then why has it been sitting for a few months on the lot? GL on the dreaded haggling process.

Dealer finally got back to us with a number. $5500 for the trade which is higher than Kelly Blue Book Excellent retail trade. NADA adjusted loan value is 6200 though. Walking out the door with trade and rebate 27077.84. That back calculates to roughly 31K for the car. Those dealer installed options aren't getting a discount, which I expected. Not sure where to go from here, but will probably wait for the 09's to drop in price since they seem to be identical power plants. Thanks for the help gang.

Archived