LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Hitting Driveshaft!

Bezz

I've had my aftermarket exhaust on for about a monthish and two days ago I installed new shifter bushings. After the install I noticed a metal on metal grinding sound. Put the car back on the hoist and found the mid pipe muffler I have on is now hitting the driveshaft in a very tiny spot on deceleration. So somehow when I undid the rear trans mount it moved everything about 1mm. I tried loosening everything and re-adjusting but its still making a little sound. My question is about aftermarket exhaust hangers, kartboy being the only one I currently have in mind, but which size should I buy? I don't want my exhaust to be hanging way down and look stupid at the tips, but I do need it to clear my driveshaft. Any thoughts?

OP, which exhaust are you running? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to ask them about the issue? Sometimes they can have good tips if it is a common issue.

If the tips are where you want them, but the midpipe is hitting, then longer hangers are not the solution.

Without contacting the manufacturer, or sacrificing the fitment of the tips, it seems as though reply #1 (excessive violence) is the only solution.

Ryan @ Nameless

Nameless Performance, Inc.

1061 Dale St Woodland, WA 98674

(360) 263-5001

http://www.namelessperformance.com

I had to cut the flanges off my exhaust and reweld to get everything to clear. Mine is a cheap Ebay set up, but I knew it was not going to be an exact fit.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Sorry for the slow-ish reply, Its magnaflow but I got an extra muffler welded into the mid-pipe (Zero-drone!) anyways, after much deliberation I think I'm just gonna heat it up with a torch and give some "Gentle Modification" with a hammer tomorrow after work. I'll let you know how it goes.

i just put the group n transmission mount on, and it raised the midpipe up to where it hits the driveshaft as well. (taking it to exhaust shop since its not worth the hassle) you can take it to an exhaust shop and they can cut and reweld it to make it clear where its hitting the driveshaft. shop where i live will do it for 10$

Well, yesterday I beat the hell out of it with my 64 ouncer. All that did was make it a bit quieter.. So today I rethought my problem, which is the transmission angle on deceleration that causes the rubbing to happen. So I took off the mount from the DP to the transmission and dremeled out all the holes so that I could mount it about 4mm lower, and voila! No extremely loud singing sound and people aren't giving me strange looks. I wish I would have taken pics but I was in a rush to go on a date with my GF haha.

Archived