LegacyGT.com

Smoke at the AutoX

At my last autocross last season, I had several re-runs at the end of the day because the people putting on the event were inexperienced and unorganized. Anyway, this meant I had four runs right in a row with only a minute or so break in between. This was after six original runs with the typical 10-15 minute cool down between them.

After the three re-runs, I noticed that the car just smelled "hot," but I didn't think too much of it. After my last one, I parked the car and popped the hood so it could get some cool air, which is when I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the driver's side near the battery. I could not figure out where it was coming from or what might be leaking in that area.

I noticed a streak of oil on the fender, and I'm thinking it had to come from the autocross. My amp's power cable also was noticeably damp with oil. I had just changed the oil the day before, but I really don't think i spilled on the side of the car, especially without wiping it up.

I took some pics of what I found. In this first pic, this is the general area where the smoke was coming from. This is between the engine and battery area, looking down. Also, what is that strap/cable in the center of the pic? It's covered in road grime (I think), no idea what it is.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131028_170115_142_zpsrjyrcl91.jpg

This pic has the damp cable and a little pool of oil on the crease of the fender. I really don't think I spilled this while changing the oil. I would have cleaned it up.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/Mobile%20Uploads/68c80809-f675-4ad6-9f84-07e07cce5656_zpsa63edab5.jpg

Lastly, here is a pic of the oil streak on my fender. Again, I don't think this is an oil change spill.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131028_164720_757_zpsi7kmpq9c.jpg

Forgive the corroded battery tie-down. I clean it every so often, but the corrosion always comes back :mad:

Any ideas on what may have happened? The autocross season starts up in about a month here :D I'd like to address this before then.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Baking soda and water and a stiff brush and then spray the entire thing with penetrating oil after you clean and dry it. You can glue a couple of pennies on the top of the battery (really OLD trick from a really OLD guy) and the pennies will attract the corrosion and leave the rest of the stuff alone.

Did you put a mirror down there to look around the valve cover? Possible valve cover leak? Would be very odd for a valve cover leak to end up on top of you fender though.

I'll have to get a mirror and take a look. I didn't think of that.

Baking soda and water and a stiff brush....

Yeah, I've done this a few times. Just haven't done the extra steps you mentioned. The paint on the battery tie-down is obviously worn off on that end, so it just corrodes again.

I don't see how oil would get on the fender and not the hood. It sounds like you might've spilled some oil before, and the smoke you saw might've been from that oil burning off or from some blow-by.

I guess I have to consider me spilling the oil is a possibility. I never saw it smoke at the other autocrosses I've run.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

It's the back to back to back runs. I've seen it before.

Ok, that's reassuring. If it's blow-by, what would cause the smoke to come from this area of the engine bay?

Archived