LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Digging up an old thread. I thought I would get everyone up to speed on my Rear Camera install.

I THEN Hooked up my PE627U1 Stereo for giggles to see if that would work. I can 100% confirm that IT DOES in fact work with the camera.

Great job! It just didn't make sense for the 2012 HU model to have the video-capable screen and reverse gear input without including the rear camera function like the subsequent-year models do. Thank you for testing that!

I'm thrilled that people are working on this. I'll try to answer questions people have been asking and clear up some information...

The [receptacle terminals to fit the headunit i192 Connector plug] are part number 1123343-1 and are dirt cheap from Digi-Key

I bought these from Mouser Part# 571-1123343-1. These are NOT the right [receptacle terminals] for the [car's 28-pin plug]. I thought they were. I crimped them all and tried fitting them in. They are too tall. Im thinking that they are Part# 1674311-1 because these are a little smaller.

jpotts is absolutely correct!

The problem is that TE makes two different styles of the plastic housings. The outer dimensions and shapes are identical, and the pin holes are in the exact same positions, but the two styles use different terminals:

73830789_ComparisonofShellTypes.thumb.jpg.3d1c50cba1ef29afa4b52c8274b0a701.jpg

I think all of the various sizes (8-, 12-, 16-, 20-, 24-, 28-pin, and up) come in those two flavors.

While you can force the wrong terminal into a housing, you really want to use the proper type.

Subaru almost always uses type "A" shells for the cars' radio harnesses. You'll often see "B" shells on OEM accessories that were supplied by outside manufacturers (such as the T-harnesses for under-seat subwoofers, BlueConnect, etc.).

("A" and "B" are my own shorthand designations, not anything from TE's docs).

One exception is the T-harnesses on the OEM Kicker subs. Those were made by a Chinese factory (using non TE housings and terminals).

1674311-1 is the proper terminal to fit the plastic housings that Subaru uses on the car's radio harnesses (type "A" in my picture). The 28-pin version is TE 1717115-1.

1123343-1 fits the type "B" shell (1565380-1 being the 28-pin version, as clarker01 wrote). Incidentally, this terminal is also the smaller pins on the OEM 20-pin Subaru/Nissan style power/speaker harness plug (designated i26 in many models/years).

With both of those terminals, the shape of your crimp needs to be within a fairly tight tolerance. Otherwise the terminal won't dock into the housing correctly, and then you won't be able to close the plastic retaining latch on the bottom. That, in turn, will prevent you from plugging the housing into the HU's socket. You can't crimp these terminals by just mashing them down with a regular pair of pliers.

Tip: If that latch won't close flush, you need to open the latch and recheck that all of your terminals are fully seated. If the latch still won't close, you need to start looking at your terminals to see which ones are mis-shapen.

There's a similar situation with the opposite gender connectors -- two different styles of shells, each requiring their own terminals (and often requiring different crimp tools).

The proper hand crimp tool from TE for these terminals can run more than $1000, and each tool typically only works on a few specific terminal part numbers. :spin:

Edited by SVXdc

Well I got a 2013 4.3" that has rear camera capability but my car is an 2011 so I need new wire harness. I got a quote for $200 for the dash harness.

Anyone have a better option for me??

Yes -- see my post here. :)

Edited by SVXdc

OK, let's clear up the pin-out on the 28-pin harness...

Again, jpotts has it correct:

In either case refer back to the 1st post from SVXdc.

Pin 8 connects to pin 12 (or ground) to enable the camera screen.

That should immediately let you see the backup screen if you put the car in reverse with the car on

Does it matter which ground you tie pin 8 to? I can't imagine why it would, ...

You can connect pin 8 to just about any ground you want. If your car doesn't have any of the factory camera wiring, pin 12 is convenient. But a screw on the side or rear of the HU will work just as well.

To enable the camera function, the HU may also need to see a video signal from the camera. Would someone test this? Start out by just grounding pin 8 and not connecting a camera yet -- see if the HU pops up a blank screen when you shift into reverse. Since other recent Subarus detect the video signal, I suspect these OEM Panasonic HUs will too.

[ADDED: Done for PE627U1 -- HU does not try to detect video from camera. Wouldn't hurt to test the other models]

Pin 11 is 6vdc power for the camera ...

Pin 13 is the camera ground/shield (the ring of the RCA style video connector) ...

Pin 14 is the positive camera lead (the tip of the RCA style video connector) ...

For everyone with the harnesses prewired in the trunk, you could just connect these leads right there! [to the factory harness plug in the trunk]

One caveat: Before you dive in and start wiring to that harness in the trunk (sedans) or tailgate (wagons), you should verify that pins 11, 13, and 14 have continuity from the 28-pin radio harness plug all the way to the respective pins on the camera harness in the trunk/tailgate. Pin 12 isn't needed, but you can check it too. It's possible that an intermediate section could be missing in some cars (for example, the segment from R332 to R346 in wagons).

Edited by SVXdc

And then pin 8 is shorted to pin 6 (which is just a shield that is also eventually tied to ground). ...

Here's a better way to look at all that:

Pin 6 is the mic enable input. As with the camera, the HU needs pin 6 grounded to tell it that a mic is present and enable the BT mic function (and activate the power supply to the mic).

Subaru's wiring diagrams can be confusing, but what they're really saying is that the car's chassis ground is fed into pin 6, and also (if the car has a camera) into pin 8. That chassis ground is also used to shield the mic wires. But otherwise, those three functions are unrelated. They just all need grounds.

Edited by SVXdc

So I take it the harness on the backside of the 2012 had empty spots where the rear view camera leads go - is that correct? Did you notice an unused 6 pin connector behind the stereo by chance? (for 2012, the connector for the NAV camera was a separate 6 pin connector)

Sounds like you're talking about the OEM Kenwood nav (DVD based) from 2010-2012 models. That HU has an 8-pin socket for its camera input. That harness is not present in cars without that particular nav.

Subarus are built with completely different radio wiring for whichever type of radio the factory intends to install. Further "upstream" (as you move towards the speakers, steering wheel, rear camera, etc.), the wiring often synchronizes for the different HUs.

Edited by SVXdc

If your car doesn't have any or all of the factory camera wiring (or you have some, but choose not to use it), you can do this:

* Connect pin 8 on the 28-pin radio harness to chassis ground.

* Power the camera by tapping into the reverse lights (near the camera)

* Connect the camera's shield and video(+) to pins 13 and 14 (respectively) on the 28-pin radio harness.

That's all you need.

You don't need to ground pin 13 -- the OEM HU already grounds pin 13 internally.

You don't need pin 12. That's just another ground.

If your car does have the factory camera wiring, Subaru does something unconventional -- they also ground the pin 13 shield wire via the joint connector in the rear of the car. Normally you don't want multiple ground points in a circuit. That can cause a "ground loop" (and create noise). Subaru must have found some reason to do it, though.

Optionally, you can power most cameras from pin 11. Cameras like the Rydeens have a convenient red wire at the HU end of their cable that you can use for this. If you do that, insulate the camera's red wire near the camera (do not try to send power into both red wires!).

Ok - so this is odd - I pulled the radio as I was curious if the navigation connector was sitting back there - it was not, however, the leads that should be there in pins 11, 12, 13, and 14 for a backup camera were there. There was no pin grounding location 8, though.

More good news - based on the wiring diagram, the leads should extend back to connector R60 (trunk cord connector - located just above the trunk opening on the right side) - supposed to be pins 6, 7, 8, and 9 (9 is the shield, and it is supposed to be yellow at this connector) - sure enough, they are there!

We should try to decipher which years/models are pre-wired (either completely, or partially -- missing segments in the middle).

It's just so strange that Subaru omitted your pin 8 wire but included everything else.

In addition - pin 2 is connected to the backup light (brown wire with a yellow stripe) - this is listed in the 2013 manual, but no connection to pin 2 is listed in the 2012 manual

I did mention that in post #1. :lol:

Subaru's diagrams usually do not show wires that the devices on that page do not use, even when they're present on the harness.

Similar example: The 20-pin power/speaker harnesses in 2010-2011 Legacys/Outbacks with the non-nav PE645U1 and PE605U6 actually have +12V Ignition (key at ON/RUN) at pin #13. I bet many people would like to use that for gauges if they knew it was there.

Edited by SVXdc

Decipher which years/models are pre-wired for the OEM camera (either completely, or partially).

If folks could post this info, we might figure it out:

• Model year (please verify against VIN digit 10 -- see this)
  • Build date
  • Model and trim level
  • Moonroof or not
  • Factory-fitted HU model number (at least the number printed on the front, such as "PE669U1", but also the Subaru P/N 862... if you've looked), and whether car has factory harman/kardon amplifier & speaker system
  • Which camera wires (if any) you have on your 28-pin harness "i192" at rear of HU (out of pins 8, 11, 12, 13, 14)
  • Which camera wires on the 10-pin trunk harness "R24" (sedans, out of pins 6, 7, 8, 9), or 4-pin tailgate harness "R330" (wagons)
  • For Outbacks, whether you've checked continuity between HU and tailgate harnesses

For the pin number layouts on those connectors, see DrD123's posts 22 (i192) and 23 (R24), earlier in this thread, and my pin-out tables (linked in post 1). A wagon that is pre-wired will have all 4 pins populated on the tailgate harness "R330".

(in sedans, I think once you see wires at i192 and R24, there's no way for the middle to be missing)

Hepy117:

2012 Legacy Ltd (build 4/2013), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires: 11, 12, 13, 14; no 8

R24 wires: 6, 7, 8, 9

R60 wires: none

nstg8r:

2012 Legacy 3.6R Ltd (build 11/2011), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires: none

DrD123:

2012 Legacy GT Ltd (build 9/2011), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires: 11, 12, 13, 14; no 8

GTEASER:

2012 Legacy GT Ltd (build 5/2012), moonroof?, PE627U1 h/k

i192 wires:
11, 12, 13, 14; no 8
none

jpotts:

2012 Legacy Ltd (build m/201_), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

R24 wires: none

jojorios:

2012 Legacy Ltd (build 1/2012), moonroof, PE627U1 h/k

R24 wires: none

jefferskn:

2013 Legacy Ltd (build m/201_), moonroof, PE658U1 h/k

Edited by SVXdc

Decipher which years/models are pre-wired for the OEM camera (either completely, or partially.

• Build date
  • Model and trim level
  • Sunroof or not
  • Factory-fitted HU model number (at least the number printed on the front, such as "PE669U1", but also the Subaru P/N 862... if you've looked)
  • Which camera wires (if any) you have on your 28-pin harness (out of 8, 11, 12, 13, 14)
  • Which camera wires on the trunk or tailgate harness
  • For Outbacks, whether you've checked continuity

(in sedans, I think once you see wires at i192 and R24, there's no way for the middle to be missing)

Will do this this weekend.

I will start this list out. I don't know if we want to update the first post or how we want it to be done.

Model year: C - 2012

Build date: *have to get*

Model and trim level: Legacy, Limited, hk audio, moonroof

Factory-fitted HU model number: PE627U1 *will get P/N

Which camera wires HU: 11, 12, 13, 14

Which camera wires trunk: 6, 7, 8, 9

Ok - so this is odd - I pulled the radio ...

the leads that should be there in pins 11, 12, 13, and 14 for a backup camera were there. There was no pin grounding location 8, though.

It's just so strange that Subaru omitted your pin 8 wire but included everything else.

Thinking about this some more -- It might be worth checking if the car's factory harness wiring includes the extra ground lead, not inserted into the 28-pin plug but instead folded back and taped down.

It's a long shot, but you folks with cars that are mostly pre-wired like DrD123's might want to check that out. The wire should be BLACK/YELLOW (like the one for the mic at pin #6). If that extra wire/pin is present, it could be completely covered with tape.

I wouldn't start cutting off or unwrapping the tape unless I saw some hint that the wire is there (part of it exposed, or a bulge that could be the pin).

A better way would be to find junction connector i225 and see whether yours has 3 or 4 out of the 4 pins populated. It's tough to tell from Subaru's diagram ("Instrument Panel Wiring Harness"), but i225 should be located somewhere in the vicinity of the other radio harness plugs, perhaps up and towards the left side of the dash HU cavity.

Decipher which years/models are pre-wired for the OEM camera (either completely, or partially).

• Build date
  • Model and trim level
  • Moonroof or not
  • Factory-fitted HU model number (at least the number printed on the front, such as "PE669U1", but also the Subaru P/N 862... if you've looked), and whether car has factory harman/kardon amplifier & speaker system
  • Which camera wires (if any) you have on your 28-pin harness (out of 8, 11, 12, 13, 14)
  • Which camera wires on the trunk or tailgate harness
  • For Outbacks, whether you've checked continuity

MY = 2012

Build Date = 11/11

Model & Trim = Legacy 3.6R Limited w/HarmonKardon Premium Sound

Moonroof = Yes

HU Model# = PER627U1

Subaru PN# 86201AJ62A

No on wires at pins 8 thru 14 on i192 connector

Yes on wires at pins 6 thru 9 on R24 connector

No on wires at pins 6 thru 9 on R60 connector

If your car doesn't have any or all of the factory camera wiring (or you have some, but choose not to use it), you can do this:

* Connect pin 8 on the 28-pin radio harness to chassis ground.

* Power the camera by tapping into the reverse lights (near the camera)

* Connect the camera's shield and video(+) to pins 13 and 14 (respectively) on the 28-pin radio harness.

That's all you need.

You don't need to ground pin 13 -- the OEM HU already grounds pin 13 internally.

You don't need pin 12. That's just another ground.

Okay, so what part exactly are we using to add wires to the 28-pin connector?

So Pins 13 and 14 are the video input and video shielding. Does the head unit just sense the video signal coming in there and switch the screen automatically to the camera picture? If so, can another camera be connected to those pins and powered up separately with a stand alone switched source and displayed on the screen, like a forward facing camera for forward facing parking at high curbs?

I just ordered 10 of the 1674311-1 terminals from DigiKey for the HU connector. If someone wants one, let me know and I will mail it to you.

Also, what terminals would I use to add wires to the camera at the trunk connector?

Edited by GTEASER

So Pins 13 and 14 are the video input and video shielding. Does the head unit just sense the video signal coming in there and switch the screen automatically to the camera picture? If so, can another camera be connected to those pins and powered up separately with a stand alone switched source and displayed on the screen, like a forward facing camera for forward facing parking at high curbs?

I just ordered 10 of the 1674311-1 terminals from DigiKey for the HU connector. If someone wants one, let me know and I will mail it to you.

Also, what terminals would I use to add wires to the camera at the trunk connector?

Pin-13 is the video shield, pin-14 is the video signal. Pin-8 has to be grounded 1st before the headunit will do anything. I went with SVXdc's suggestion and looped pin-8 to pin-12. After I did that, when I put my car in reverse, the backup screen appeared on the HU (with no image since the camera wasn't hooked up). So, the HU doesn't need to have a signal for the function to work, it just needs pin-8 grounded.

If you were to remove or cut the reverse lead to pin-2, and then connect pin-2 of the head unit to a switch with +12V power, you would be able to activate the video screen when you want. Or, you can do what SVXdc suggests: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4670731&postcount=2

If you were to do that, and use a video input switch, you could change the image to whatever you like. You could even hook up a DVD player and use the AUX inputs for the audio.

The 1674311-1 terminals are the ones I used; a real pain in the a$$ to work with because of the size. I've seen your work, so I'm sure you know your way around a crimper. You just have to pay attention to the way you insert them into the harness since they only fit one way. Pushing them in all the way was probably the hardest part. You want to make sure you get a good crimp or else they'll come right off when inserting them. I don't know which terminals are used for the trunk connector. I just wired everything directly to the headunit.'

edit: Also, I powered the camera by using pin-11 on the headunit.

Pin-8 has to be grounded 1st before the headunit will do anything. ... After I did that, when I put my car in reverse, the backup screen appeared on the HU (with no image since the camera wasn't hooked up). So, the HU doesn't need to have a signal for the function to work, it just needs pin-8 grounded.

Thank you for verifying that! That checks off one question I'd been trying to answer.

Of course, the 2013 or 2014 HU models could be different (but probably not).

You could even hook up a DVD player and use the AUX inputs for the audio.

Yes, except that the HU overlays the parking guide lines and "check surroundings..." message, which many people would find annoying if trying to watch a movie. We really need to figure out how to access the dealer setup menu on these Panasonic HUs, to see if it includes the option to turn off the lines and/or warning message (not to mention adjusting the lines to suit your camera's view).

[the terminals are] a real pain in the a$$ to work with because of the size.

Pushing them in all the way was probably the hardest part.

+1000 on being difficult to crimp. I won't try to offer any help on that aspect, but see this guide for inserting and extracting terminals from the plastic housing. The factory shell is style "A" on my picture.

+1000 on being difficult to crimp. I won't try to offer any help on that aspect, but see this guide for inserting and extracting terminals from the plastic housing. The factory shell is style "A" on my picture.

I didn't see or notice if there was a retention latch on the 28-pin connector, but I wasn't looking for one either. that would probably have made it a lot easier to push the pins in place.