LegacyGT.com

Does spoiler help or hurt highway fuel efficiency?

I am thinking of buying a 2.5i limited. I am wondering if a rear spoiler on the legacy will hurt or help highway fuel efficiency? There are different theories about the spoiler but in practice, does it really help or hurt the gas mileage for legacy? I often drive around 80~85 MPH.

Also, does the spoiler look good on the legacy?

Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoilers are design to disrupt the laminar flow which ends up generating more drag. The faster you go, the worst it gets.

For road cars, they are generally done for looks. Very few cars NEED spoilers. Those that need them are a poor aerodynamic design and have a tendency to oversteer at high speeds like the Audi TT.

It does nothing.

It looks awful.

:hide:

I agree. I've owned 30 cars and never had a spoiler. As far as tack-ons go, the only thing worse are louvers. I bought a used '87 RX-7 Turbo around '93 and I had to rip those louvers off as soon as I got home.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Spoilers are design to disrupt the laminar flow which ends up generating more drag. The faster you go, the worst it gets.

For road cars, they are generally done for looks. Very few cars NEED spoilers. Those that need them are a poor aerodynamic design and have a tendency to oversteer at high speeds like the Audi TT.

I am not sure the ones that need them are due to poor aerodynamic design. I thought the ones that needed them are TOO aerodynamic creating lift which is why the spoiler was needed.

I guess you could argue that a car should be designed to create downforce, but I don't believe that is necessary at the speeds that most people drive.

Straight from SOA...

The spoiler on the Spec-B provides constant downforce in city driving. This is due to the addition of the aluminum Ghengis Arm used in production of the Spec-B. At highway speeds, the spec-b spoiler will slightly grow into a more aerodynamic shape provided the Amorphicity Plastic used has not been contaminated. In turn, the driver can expect to see an addition .0367 lbs of downforce per each mile per hour and a +7 boost of power with additional mana capabilities. Once the car reaches maximum velocity and the flux capicator begins to develop HPV, super-boost is achieved, allowing the Spec-B to take flight and look awesome.

The addition of a spoiler to a regular GT & 2.5i will provide an additional boost of power in the low rpm ranges due to hyper-induction from the vortex winds created by sheer awesome-ness, which will allow the driver to feel the power between the flange-nut-belt-drive (new since 05.) and the bi-sexual lug nut rotation suction cup.

..man i'm bored at work.

brian

I was convinced I wanted one when I found out it had a brake light.

I love the spoiler to death, I bought an aftermarket factory spoiler off of ebay. The car looked so bland without it. However, I hope you don't plan on using a rear bike rack with your car. The spoiler gets to be such a pain when I am trying to haul bikes around. I already have a few chips on the spoiler from where it rubbed against the bike rack. Probably have to have it touched-up somewhere, then buy some padding for the rack. Just my .02 cents.

I am thinking of buying a 2.5i limited. I am wondering if a rear spoiler on the legacy will hurt or help highway fuel efficiency? There are different theories about the spoiler but in practice, does it really help or hurt the gas mileage for legacy? I often drive around 80~85 MPH.

My intuition says that the spoiler's effect on fuel economy will be so close to zero that it can't be measured. But you'd really have to try it to actually know.

On the other hand, I am very confident that slowing from 80ish to 50ish will save a measurable amount of fuel. I'd bet money on it. I'd bet a couple thousand if I was confident that the experiment would be done properly.

Archived