LegacyGT.com

Goodridge lines and SSMs installed...

rtp

Well, other than the pass rear side, this wasn't tough. A friend from work helped out and SEE_OBXT stopped by with his son just as we finish installing the lines on the front.

Add in 2 three year olds, a five year old, and 2 eight year olds, we had our hands full!

Here are my thoughts...

Fairly easy, but long process. Considering I spent $175 on lines and $400 on the SSMs, I'd say it (so far) isn't a real big bang for the buck.

Yes, there is a difference, but only during high speed stops... the pedal doesn't depress as far as before, which is nice. At slower speeds I really don't notice a big difference.

I was hoping I'd see a bigger difference in the initial touch of the pedal... to line up better when heel-toeing.

That's all for now.

Did you bed in the pads? The SS-Ms were designed with lower initial bite than the rest of the SS series, and way lower dusting.. the heat range is excellent for repeated stopping and prevent glazing.

Were you expecting for that "throw me out the window/I want to hear tire squealing" stopping? You might be looking for higher coeff. of friction. Also, did you bleed the brakes where it's air-bubble free?

The brakes should be able to give you a better bite. Also, as the pads get more heat in them as you drive, the harder that they will bite, which is a common thing for most brake pads.

Keefe

Yep. Bled and bed them. Motul 600. No bubbles, clean and clear.

Doesn't feel mushy or anything. The improvement in the feel is under harder braking. I think the pads work well... I wasn't looking for throw you through the windshield type response.

I was hoping for an improved feel in the first cm of pedal travel... maybe faster engagement.

There will be more time tomorrow and through the week for me to get a better feel for the setup... hopefully it will improve a little.

"I was hoping for an improved feel in the first cm of pedal travel... maybe faster engagement."

I'm wondering if this is due to the brakes going thru the ABS and the electronic brake force distribution. How is our Subi's brakes set up? On my Rover, it was more of brake by wire where when you brake the computer judges and applies the braking. I know we have a similar set up.

Just a thought...

I think I need to re-bleed...

The first press of the pedal feels mostly stock, except at high speeds. However, if I press and release, then press again... much quicker engagement, like I was expecting...

I have techna fit lines, SSM, Motul RBF 600 and as far as everyday driving, the intial improvement I thought was from a good break bleed. The set-up was well worth it at the track. The stock pads glaze over pretty quickly.

I thought the SSM had good initial bite at first but after two track days, it feels much like the stock pads, but are also as quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I forgot to post this a week or so ago...

Turns out one of the pistons (the left one when looking at it) was frozen!! Since my stock pads were so fresh when I did the swap I didn't have to compress hardly at all... didn't even notice. Under further inspection, this appears to have come this way from the factory.

So, unfroze it by putting the piston compressor on the good one and pressing down the brake pedal to force out the other. Cleaned it all up, pressed it back in, put it back together, bled that caliper (got 4 tiny bubbles) and...

MUCH better early response and overall feel. Stops great now!

Very happy with this setup now.

Archived