LegacyGT.com

2009 5EAT Stage 1 Datalog

ktm200

Finally caved and bought an accessport. Stage 1 93oct tune. Pulled a 3rd gear run from about 2300rpm to 6300rpm. For peace of mind I was hoping some of the knowledgeable folks on the site could take a peak at the log. I did a search and think I have most of the important parameters. Initial impressions are that the car pulls much smoother through the rpm range.

I took a look at the vid on cobb's site that shows a few of the parameters and what they should be and those seem to be good. Maybe a little bit a fine knock learning towards redline? Also looks lite I'm hitting peak boost later than suggested in the map notes?

datalog1.csv

you're knocking in the worst possible place. however it's learned knock, there was no feedback activity knock in that log likely because the ecu has learned to pull timing in those ranges where it has historically knocked. as the ecu tries to re-add timing (in the learned areas)it may knock again, therefore you'll see feedback activity. if that learned knock doesn't disappear or you start seeing feedback knock, load the 91 octane map and be done with it. I have a feeling you'll have to load the 91 map as you were knocking pretty good (-2.8!) near redline, enough to (in my opinion) mean it's legitimate knock and not just noise.

Not knowing much about tuning, this might be a dumb question. Is it possible the learned knock is from my stock tune before I installed the cobb map? I installed the cob map and immediately went out to log, maybe 10mi from my house and kept it pretty low key up until I did the datalog. Or does the new map flash wipe the ecu of its history?

Anyways, here are 2 more logs from my ride home from work. The learned knock looks just as bad if not worse. Still 0 feedback knock though.

Also kind of confused that the cobb map notes say that redline is increased to 6700rpm. Even in manual mode, the tranny automatically shifts at 6300rpm.

I'm going to give the 91oct map a try tomorrow. I did use quality 93oct gas in the car though, from Shell.

Thank you for the input.

datalog2.csv

datalog3.csv

everytime you flash it it resets the ecu to the new map parameters. so no, it's not from the old tune. and if those were my logs, i'd switch to 91 map. lesson learned: cobb ots maps are made as general and made to work on the car year ranges. this is why pro tunes are better, you wouldn't have that knock, and you'd make more power, so now you need to suffice for less power just to not knock

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated. Just flashed 91 a few minutes ago, going to pull a few more logs tomorrow. I'd like to get an infamous tune but want to wait until I pick up a downpipe first, probably in a few months.

I have an 05 5EAT and experienced Zero knock with the stock COBB Stage 1 tune. It was a little rich on the top end but zero knock. Also my tranny holds a gear till 6700 in manual mode so there definitely might be something up with your car.

No, there's something wrong with your car. The fact that his doesn't rev as high as 6700 is a good thing. The older the transmission gets the higher the rpms spike right before a shift, this is due to the input clutch being worn between shifts

everytime you flash it it resets the ecu to the new map parameters. So no, it's not from the old tune. And if those were my logs, i'd switch to 91 map. Lesson learned: Cobb ots maps are made as general and made to work on the car year ranges. This is why pro tunes are better, you wouldn't have that knock, and you'd make more power, so now you need to suffice for less power just to not knock

+1

Here are a few more logs. The first 2 were done a few miles after install, the last one on the way home from work. First two the DAM never reached 1 and did reach 1 in the 3rd run. Seems the fine knock learning is gone and only had one minor feedback knock even. Seem good now? Must have been a crummy batch of 93. Unfortunately the 91 oct map definitely feels slower, gentle passing at ~70mph is slower. Oh well, really need to save up for a downpipe.

datalog1.csv

datalog2.csv

datalog3.csv

that's a cool story. some people complain about hitting fuel cut between shifts- THAT is because of tranny wear. but over time the rpms will spike higher and higher between shifts- that would indicate wear. and it would be around 7k i'd say

Odd, I just spoke with COBB as well. I was told that with the automatic transmissions, redline does not change with their maps as they have no control over the TCU. My car hits between 6300-6400rpms consistently before shifting. Car only has ~35k miles and has really been babied up to this point. A difference of only a few hundred rpm between us could easily be minor wear.

On a side note, had to fill up today (was on E) and tried a different shell station 93oct again. Did a realtime flash to the 93 map and the logs looked much better. Briefly hit a fine knock learning of -0.7 around 4000rpm but quickly dissipated. No problems in the upper rpms at all.

Probably was a mediocre batch of fuel like you mentioned. I'll probably just leave the 91 map to be safe.

Again thanks for taking the time to help out and look at the logs.

Archived