LegacyGT.com

New (for me) Bug Deflector- Input?

keithk831

So today I installed my bug deflector that I bought from Nick (moncur_6). Once I figured out how to install it, it went on pretty easy.

Here are some pics. I know lots of people have mixed feelings on these, but I think it works well on ABP. Thoughts?

IMAG0012.thumb.jpg.362d3fc963d6e9c59c87fd30da17df44.jpg

IMAG0013.thumb.jpg.7123b17b41173c80d4a39851ca77236f.jpg

IMAG0014.thumb.jpg.d85a55d14d27703940478d544b0814c8.jpg

IMAG0015.thumb.jpg.f3158dad567619bfd3c3506f1b384509.jpg

These are both good and bad. I basically grew up working in a bodyshop (my pops own one), so I have seen what these do over the years.

The good: They deflect rocks and other road debris away from the hood and windshield.

The bad: They aren't exactly attractive (arguably), the paint will fade differently than the rest of the car, mounting points or anywhere it is touching paint will hold in moisture thus causing rust.

My Outback had a bug shield when I bought it. It came with little sticky rubber bushing to keep the shield from rubbing on the paint, but all it did was cause rust spots where they were touching.

I would suggest only using the bug shield for long drives... They are good to have. Stay away from ClearBra, though! After a while it starts to yellow from exposure to the sun and occasionally moisture makes its way under it. These can get really ugly after a few years. Our weather here makes these go bad a lot quicker.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, just wanted to give you my advise from experience!

These are both good and bad. I basically grew up working in a bodyshop (my pops own one), so I have seen what these do over the years.

The good: They deflect rocks and other road debris away from the hood and windshield.

The bad: They aren't exactly attractive (arguably), the paint will fade differently than the rest of the car, mounting points or anywhere it is touching paint will hold in moisture thus causing rust.

My Outback had a bug shield when I bought it. It came with little sticky rubber bushing to keep the shield from rubbing on the paint, but all it did was cause rust spots where they were touching.

I would suggest only using the bug shield for long drives... They are good to have. Stay away from ClearBra, though! After a while it starts to yellow from exposure to the sun and occasionally moisture makes its way under it. These can get really ugly after a few years. Our weather here makes these go bad a lot quicker.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, just wanted to give you my advise from experience!

Chad, you are a man who knows what he is talking about! So far I kind of like the look, but we'll see how it plays out over the next little while.

• 2 weeks later...
I put one on mine a few years back. It lasted one Winter. Once I saw all the crud underneath it that really couldn't be cleaned or polished very well without taking the sheild off.... I removed it. It helped, but really didn't provide all that much protection for the hassle of dealing with it and the slightly goofy look of it IMO.

I pretty much hate it but I support your right to be different and do your thing. I think it would look hot on a SWP with roof racks, black wheels and tint or something. A black LGT could get away with it but mostly...

It just ruins the smooth lines of the front end to me and the front end of the 4th G is what I like best about it.

Again, if you like it awesome but not for me.

I had my license plate holes filled in... Got harassed by the cops once but told them I had nowhere to put the plate!

Haha nice! I don't like having a front plate, but I especially don't like that it takes away so much from the front end of the car. On my old Grand Am, it had a removable plate and it just "sat" inside the bumper, so it wasn't in the way or blocking anything.

I think you guys have talked me out of it. It's coming off today, if you know of anyone who wants one :-)

I'm also thinking about "temporarily" putting my front license plate in the trunk so I can "detail my car"...

I just got a fix-it ticket for no front plate and tinted tail lights last night. :spin:

Yuk. Glad it's going away. Personally I don't like ANY tack-on plastic whether it be this, clearbra, sunroof, windows, or the big OEM tail. This is perfect for a Pontiac Grand Am, however... never enough tack-on plastic afterthoughts for those cars.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Wait, so if you get a ticket for no front plate, then "fix it", you don't have to pay?

I'm not sure... I am under the impression that I have between 5-14 days to show Murray City Justice Court proof that I have fixed said infractions for no penalty.

I've never received a fix-it ticket and the officer wasn't too informative on how to go about resolving it. :confused:

It was pretty lame, don't mean to clutter your thread, but he must have been out looking for mods... It was like 4pm when he pulled me over. I wasn't speeding, I was in traffic and there were other cars between me and him at the time. He told me I was pulled over for the tinted lights then did a full walk around my car, had me roll my window up to check the tint, and then came back with the no front plate citation.

I'll throw it on, have it checked off, and probably remove it again. I hate front plates.

I think I am being straight up fined for the tinted tail lights. Went to the justice court today, ticket wasn't entered in the system yet, but the lady said only the front plate will be a fix it... I hate cops.

I'll find out in a few days... now i'm rocking the ugly stock tail lights and a front plate.

Archived