LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec.B worth saving for?

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently the owner of a 05' Altima SE-R. I regreted buying the car soon after getting it. Since then I have been trying to decide what my ideal car would be and the Legacy is up on my list. The SER is the special edition Altima, and I like having something "unusual", so I found the Spec.B Legacy and really took to it. I never thought I'd be able to get out of my Altima without losing my shirt but it now looks possible (selling to cousin) so I'm back in the Subaru market. That being said, in my area there are usually only 2-5 Spec.B's available at any one time and they are generally in the 22K-25K range. This is not more than I can afford, but more than I want to pay (400+ a month) My primary motivation for looking at the Spec.B is the 6 speed tranny and limited slip rear differential. I don't care so much about the remainder of the spec.B goodies I.E. indash navigation. I'm more about mechanical function/strength.

So my question is, is the Spec.B really worth saving my pennies for or should I go with a GT? Based on my reading on this forum I know that the 5 speed is only good for so much HP (~300?) and I really plan on doing substantial engine mods when/if I get the car. One of the biggest down-sides to the Altima is that it's very expensive to wring any more HP out of the motor and even if I had 3-4K to load up on all the bolt on's I'd be lucky to hit 300 at the crank.

I am a very accomplished mechanic and have done several engine and transmission jobs. Since I can get a GT for 5-10K less than a spec.B, I wonder if it's not just worth it to get a GT and do a trans swap?

I also wonder is the rear limited slip purely a mechanical function (and is a direct swap/bolt in) or does it interface into the electrical/ABS/traction control system?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might as well just buy exactly what you want this time around, and it sounds like that would be the spec b.

I almost bought an Altima SE-R, I thought it was a pretty fun car. I know you can upgrade the clutch, flywheel, and exhaust, and I'm pretty sure I saw that there was at least one manufacturer that had supercharger kit for it.

Yeah, I am very back and forth on the topic. The spec.B is alot of money (for me anyway) $400+ for 5 years. Yes there are clutch/flywheel/exhaust upgrades for th Altima. The three most popular upgrades are headers/y-pipe/cat back and that's where you'll get the most HP gains. That said unless you buy China crap, headers = $1200 / y-pipe = $350 / "catback" = 700-1000 So just for those mods you're in it $2500 and you're only looking at a 20-30HP gain. I think $2500 would go MUCH farther with a Subaru! I've never personally seen a supercharger kit, but I know there's two manufacturers that make turbo kits and that'll run you ~$7000 and that's if you install it yourself. I think after the 7K you are around 320-330HP. Just not a good investment of money IMO. Overall the Altima is not a bad car really, just not mod-friendly. Plus I had to do $800 in motor work when I first got it (timing components) so that put a real bad taste in my mouth after that.

BTW the gt does have an LSD just a different one. anyway...

You should get the Spec B. Its the one you want so you should get it. at this stage you should look for more than your local area. Also several guys on the forum are selling their spec b. Its going to be hard to find one in your price range but you will.

I got mine 2 yrs ago for $26.6k with 10K on it. after some hard bargaining.

I am a very accomplished mechanic and have done several engine and transmission jobs. Since I can get a GT for 5-10K less than a spec.B, I wonder if it's not just worth it to get a GT and do a trans swap?

Sounds like you are the kind of guy who both enjoys working on your car and enjoys having what you really want. Are you seriously going to FINANCE a car and then start modding it by yanking the tranny, etc? Sounds stupid to me, no offence, to heavily mod a car while financing it. If you can't afford to purchase the car (have it paid off) don't purchase a car to tear apart, it just doesn't make any sense.

Obviously I think you should bite the bullet and get a specB if you want high power and a stout 6spd via FIANACE. Many, many members bolt stuff on their cars while paying them off... Bit less complicated and more reverseable than a transplant.

If you were willing and had the liquid funds I would find a cheap high mileage (under 10k/over 100k) LGT and an sti wreck for a complete STI transplant with everything. I bet that could be done with most everything you want for an insane DD for 10-15k more.

Wish I had your skills/access to a lift/shop

You'll get a lot of power out of 2.5k. You can do stage two for under 600 bucks with the ERZ downpipe and tune from Infamous.

If you have your mind set on a Spec B then go for it. Might take some time looking for one, esp if you want an un-modded one.

The 5spd holds more than 300whp just fine. In fact, over 400whp isn't uncommon but at that point you generally do want a 6spd. I'll probably get one later on -- hopefully later rather than sooner since I just got my new clutch & flywheel!

I had a stage 3 WRX and sold it because I came across a deal on a stage 2 Spec.B

I love the spec.B and my 6 speed vs. my wrx 5 speed. I purchased it with a BBK, wheels, intake, custom tune, cobb AP, exhaust and sway bars which is just what i wanted. I did all that stuff to my WRX but the LGT is a diff monster. The spec.B's hold value and may be a little harder to find depending on the year. I really like my spec.B ;)

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

i was kinda curious about this myself, because im looking to buy a higher mileage gt, (85k) figgured the miles were not a big deal but since im also a mechanic i can do the services to get it back on par. ive debated on the sti tans thing back and forth but i think that i might test the 300 limits on the stock 5mt.

I went from a 2005 LGT (Auto) to a 2008 Spec.B and couldn't be happier. For some reason, I have a big mental block in my head against having any car built within the last 6 years with a 5-speed manual. The 6-speed just seems like a better idea, especially with the extra gear for highway cruising. With a set of pink springs and upgraded sway bars, you are looking at a great handler and while I could live without the built-in satnav, the faux alcantra seat inserts really make the interior look special. I have had tons of complements on my car, specifically the interior, because of how nice it looks and feels.

If you are really interested in heavy modification, I would go with the 5 speed... I put 90K miles on my 05 LGT (5 speed) and when I finally decided to change the clutch/flywheel (i'm putting down 336wtq) it did not show any signs of real wear or damage. I only changed the clutch and flywheel as a preventative measure. Although, I must say I am a big fan of the 6MT and if I had the choice back in 05' I would have probably gone with it... Hope our experiences help you make the decision...

After driving a Subaru 6mt and comparing it to the 5mt, I wish I had gone Spec.B.

The transmission is phenomenal in the Spec.B, and shifting is alot more satisfying experience. As far as I know, it's also a physically tougher transmission in terms of gear-set, clutch, and throwout bearing...the latter two of which are considered of questionable reliability on the stock 5mt LGT.

On top of that: the stock suspension is far better for a daily driver. I'd throw a set of sways on and be pretty close to done. On the LGT, sways & dampers & new top mounts are a good baseline. And I'm simply talking about a car that handles in a satisfying manner while providing good comfort.

To me, brand new the Spec.B wasn't worth it. But in the used market, the premium is far lower...and at that point, it's worth the price.

Greetings everyone,

I'm currently the owner of a 05' Altima SE-R. I regreted buying the car soon after getting it. Since then I have been trying to decide what my ideal car would be and the Legacy is up on my list. The SER is the special edition Altima, and I like having something "unusual", so I found the Spec.B Legacy and really took to it. I never thought I'd be able to get out of my Altima without losing my shirt but it now looks possible (selling to cousin) so I'm back in the Subaru market. That being said, in my area there are usually only 2-5 Spec.B's available at any one time and they are generally in the 22K-25K range. This is not more than I can afford, but more than I want to pay (400+ a month) My primary motivation for looking at the Spec.B is the 6 speed tranny and limited slip rear differential. I don't care so much about the remainder of the spec.B goodies I.E. indash navigation. I'm more about mechanical function/strength.

So my question is, is the Spec.B really worth saving my pennies for or should I go with a GT? Based on my reading on this forum I know that the 5 speed is only good for so much HP (~300?) and I really plan on doing substantial engine mods when/if I get the car. One of the biggest down-sides to the Altima is that it's very expensive to wring any more HP out of the motor and even if I had 3-4K to load up on all the bolt on's I'd be lucky to hit 300 at the crank.

I also wonder is the rear limited slip purely a mechanical function (and is a direct swap/bolt in) or does it interface into the electrical/ABS/traction control system?

Major different is 5spd and 6spd trans + bilstein suspension from spec B, but as rao said, you can always upgrade,

how about start with a lgt

If you're a mechanic and gonna invest a lot of your time into the car anyway - buy an 05 LGT with blown tranny for cheap and swap a 6spd.

If you'd rather avoid swapping and have a car with a warranty on the stuff you won't modify (don't know what's left if you mod engine/suspension etc., I guess electronics) - 6spd is very worth it, especially with short-throw shifter.

all depends on what your monthly payment to be... Since the SpecB didn't come with 6-speed until 07, you're going to pay a lot more for a 6-speed 07 SpecB than say an 05 LGT.

Also consider what your power upgrade budget is really going to be with a heftier monthly payment on the car itself. The lower cost of the LGT will give you a larger allowance for upgrades.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Wow thanks for all the feedback! Everyone's alot nicer here than on the Altima forums ha ha You've all given me alot to think about. I agree it's a little...ummm...not stupid, but not the best decision to heavily mod a car which I have a high finance/payment on. So based on what some people have said I might really be leaning toward a little older LGT for a much more reasonable price and mod from there. (since the tranny/differential swap seems to be a fairly straight forward job) I don't have either a lift or a garage, I fight all my projects in my cousins driveway. But I've been working on cars for over 15 years so I've learned alot and have never backed down from a challenge. I have alot more to think about, thank you everyone

BTW, based on what I've learned, the 2.5L Turbo in say a 05-06' LGT is basically the same engine as that in a Spec.B correct?

Archived