LegacyGT.com

98 subaru legacy gt engine swap?!

i have a ej25d in my 98 LGT and it has some sort of knocking that sounds like a tensioner knocking but seems internal. i was told to start looking for a new engine? but it seems fine when i drive it. so? if i was to swap what should i put in it with out having to spend a fortune???

any suggestions with reasonable backup would be greaaattt thanks!!

i have a ej25d in my 98 LGT and it has some sort of knocking that sounds like a tensioner knocking but seems internal. i was told to start looking for a new engine? but it seems fine when i drive it. so? if i was to swap what should i put in it with out having to spend a fortune???

any suggestions with reasonable backup would be greaaattt thanks!!

If you want it to last & keep going, an EJ22E will suffice.

If you want to keep your TQ & HP, install another EJ25D.

buy a mechanic's stethoscope ($3 at harbor freight, $10 at your local parts store) and and identify the noise. it could well be the tensioner. the 98 has one that will make noise as it ages.

i hear if you disconnect the plug wire on the cylinder with the bad rod bearing the noise will stop.

ugghhh such a decision.. i love having the power that the 2.5 delivers but i know about the many problems it has.. what about a 2.0 wrx swap??

That will not work without heavy re-wiring to plug into the ECU (stock intake wiring, cam & crank gears/triggers are different & will keep the EJ205 from starting on a stock EJ25D ECU)

Archived