LegacyGT.com

Yokohoma Avid W4S installed

GTTuner

I just replaced my Kumho ASX's with some new Yoko Avid W4S's. WOW! The Kumho was a great tire for the price but I wanted a little better tire this time. My first impressions....225/45-17's....Incredible ride quality, possibly the quietest tire I have ever owned, wet and dry grip are both far better that the Kumho. Straight line stability at insane speeds is second to none. These things are meaty, 10/32nds of tread, nice wide voids for water evacuation, siping for ice and snow, and again, they grip dry like Miss piggy on Kermit the frog!!!! I love them. :wub:

Go to the tire rack and read the test results, the tire placed 1st in every comparo test, right on the money as they described.

Check them out, I seriously recomend them. My car feels and rides better than new.

Paul (will update when snow hits the ground!)

$120.00 each with road hazard from the local tire wholesaler ( Tire rack: $116.00 shipped). I read theat about the weight, I assumed that was also comparing the B/S 215"s to the larger 225's. I really canot tell any difference with the weight.

Post up some pics tonight.

It's funny - these really are a top-rated tire and have tons of good reviews.

But to note how unique reviews are to each tire/car situation:

My wife's previous car, a 2003 Saturn Ion 3 (205/55/16 tire size) ran Yokohama Avid V4S.

They were quiet at first. Decent ride comfort. Good hydroplaning resistance, wet and dry traction. Decent steering response, but that car had horrible electric steering.

After 20k miles, the Yokohamas HAD to go. They were abysmal in the snow. I mean absolutely terrible. They spun on dewy pavement. They made terrible sounds when braking from 40-50mph. Ride comfort was going downhill fast. And they were wearing pretty damn fast for a 205/55/16. (I was running them slightly high on pressure, so this was not an issue of tire pressure). There were no obvious signs of an alignment issue.

I swapped in a set of Kumho ASX and they absolutely transformed the car. Comfort increased dramatically. Ride noise dissapeared. Steering was suddenly GOOD on a car that never had good steering in it's entire run. Wet traction, dry traction, and hydroplaning resistance were all superior. That tire literally made me enjoy the car more than I had ever enjoyed it in the previous +40k miles.

Just thought I'd share that as it's the opposite direction gttuner went :)

Joe

^^^^^^The Kumho was a great tire. Ride comfort got pretty bad as I got down to 4/32's. Just like anything new, when you spend some money, it's the cat's meow. We'll see how I like them in snow and after 20K miles or so! My ASX's wore perfect, I check'd the alignment and i did not have to touch it, I was surprised after 60K on New England roads. Keep us posted on your opinion of the ASX's. I will say, the ASX was slightly better transmitting feedback, which sometimes annoyed me since our roads suck!

I sold the car with the ASXs on after 12-14k and got the LGT :)

FYI - My Falken Ziex 912 in 215/45/17 on my 06 Civic SI are starting to bother me after only 13k miles on them. Getting noisy. Ride comfort decreasing. And they are starting to get that "slick" feeling....

Of course, it's also getting alot colder. So they could just be getting alot harder.

Joe

I will only say my Bridgestone and Michelin (expensive) tires stay at same sound level over their life span start to finish. I found this with my current RE960's and even the RE92's and also Pilot Sport A/S.

My experience with budget brands Falken (512?), Sumitomo(SXRION), and Remington is they all were dumped 10k-15k miles due to excessive noise. I have given up on budget tires although I think Kumho may buck the trend.

This is great info.... I am seeing ASX's priced at $56 on Tirerack... is this right?? I am debating between those and the WS4 I had Yokohama's on my previous Impreza (No idea what kind) and liked them pretty well. I am interested in the ice/slush braking with both tires... any feedback there would be appreciated.

Thanks to the OP for the comparo between the two. Also has the ASX changed any in composition that may be better than they were when you bought them (or would they bee different letters?)

Archived