LegacyGT.com

TSK3 Kit vs Upgraded TOB

careercadaver

In process of putting my car back together and read a few threads on throw out bearing issues. Many if which recommends the TSK3 Sleeve and TOB kit.

I'm curious how this set-up would compare to an upgraded/aftermarket TOB from ACT or other source. I understand the OE kit is not a solid option but from hat I'm reading I should expect to replace the TOB ever 40-60K...even with the TSK3...

Is this correct? If I'm dropping the trans that often I'm not sure I see the advantage of the kit unless I already have had some damage...and $100 for a TOB seems excessive to replace w/ the kit...

Any input would be appreciated.

In my opinion, the benefit of the TSK3 is the stainless steel sleeve that installs over the quill of the transmission case. This makes the wear surface a replaceable part, rather than an integral part of your transmission. When it comes time to replace the bearing you can source the bearing alone from most of the vendors on this site (FBP, Infamous, AZP, myself, etc). The key difference between the TSK TOB and all the others is that it has the appropriate ID to ride on the new sleeve. We all hope it is better quality than the OEM TOB as well.

I don't plan to replace my TSK TOB until I do the clutch again. I don't plan on doing that for another 80,000 miles or more. I have almost 20,000 miles on the current set up in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm hoping this set-up lasts. The clutch set-up that will be on mine will be pretty much new as well...just not something I want to tear into constantly...I saw one guy posted that he's gone through three bearings and has his trans installed with wing nuts... Granted this is not this kit but I was curious about longevity...if this only lasts 40K I might as well just go with the OE set-up and plan for replacement.

Tranquil makes the TSK3 kit that includes a bearing they buy from someone else.

...who do they purchase the bearings from?

My TSK3 Kit TOB failed in less than a couple thousand miles ... shop made multiple attempts to contact Tranquil but they refuse to offer any kind of customer service. No reply, No return calls, Zilch-Nada.

When it was operating as designed it was enjoyable since I had less chatter and peace of mind.

The real only benefit of the TSK3 kit is the sleeve to help save your tranny snot. The TOB is not any better than the stock one. I've gone through 3 TOBs.

1 stock TOB

2 TSK3 TOB

2 sleeves

Since I just put a new motor in, I replace the TOB since it's about time for it to go out again, the sleeve looked good. So, now I'm on my 4th TOB in 120k miles.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I just know every 2 years to replace the TOB regardless if it still has some life in it. I do a lot of city driving (stop/go) which is my major problem.

Still on my 2nd clutch. :lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

^^ If you're going through multiple sleeves it seems like something would have to be out of alignment. My trans has 115k on it and the there is only minimal wear on the snout with no precious sign I a TSK3 Kit.

I'm just hoping the TOB makes it close to the life if the clutch but I guess time will tell! :/

Archived