LegacyGT.com

ATF fluid: What came standard? What do you recommend?

I'm about to do a full 60k service on my LGT and wanted to know what you guys have been using in your 5EATs, and what came standard?

Also, is 75w90 Redline ok to use in both the front and rear diff? Where is the fill/drain for the front?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Subaru ATF-HP fluid for the transmission. I believe the redline is fine, I used Motul Gear 300 last time I did mine.

The drain for the front diff is pretty obvious when you're under the car--it says "Diff" on it, lol. Towards the front / passenger side compared to the transmission drain. Fill it through the dip stick. Same with transmission.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
i am putting subaru extra S in my tranny when i do it

Thanks for that contribution. OP, please don't put manual transmission fluid in your automatic transmission.

stuck686: ATF stands for AUTOMATIC transmission fluid, which extra S is not. Probably a good call putting it in your 5MT though, seems to work great in that application.

Don't forget to grab a crush washer for the transmission / diff drain plugs also.

Good call. You wouldn't happen to know what size they are?

I would go to a Subaru dealer, but there's isn't one anywhere nearby... I'd rather save the 1.5-2 hours and do something else with my life :rolleyes: Plus I get free shipping with Amazon, so it's highly convenient.

I think I'll try Redline ATF. I can't imagine there will be any problems, especially since they claim to support this specific vehicle with that fluid.

• Moderators

Sounds like you didn't need to ask what fluid you should use in the first place since you are pretty set on the redline, lol.

You could probably just give fred beans a call and get everything you need directly from them for a great price.

Archived