LegacyGT.com

Clunking and squeaking suspension - Why?

About a month ago I put on new KYB stock struts with Epic Engineering springs (05 LGT). My front suspension now makes all kinds of noise. Here are my observations.

If I turn the wheel all the way to the right while the car is idling in the driveway it becomes difficult to turn after 3/4 of a turn and makes the squealing noise, Now this probably is the power steering pump (hopefully not the rack) since the fluid is full. Now here is the weird thing. After turning the wheel all the way to the right I took the car for a ride on the highway. It pulls hard to the right. Same thing happens if I turn the wheel all the way to the left at idle...it will pull hard left. Now in either case if I pull over to the side of the highway and turn the wheel (while car is not moving but at idle) 3/4 of a turn opposite of the way the car is pulling the car will go straight down the highway. What is causing this?

One other thing I noticed. I had the car on the rack at a repair shop to try and determine where the noise is coming from. What I found was when the steering wheel is turned, the spring is turning inside the strut to a certain point, then binds up and "releases" making a load bang. I followed the instructions on a post here for putting the strut and springs together. I also put new OEM tophats on. Did I do something wrong?

The car handles better with these springs but the noise is driving me nuts. No noises when the car is at speed. It has 124,000 miles on it and I am ready to trade it in because of these issues.

Anybody have any ideas on what is wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Have a great day!

Yep. Mounts were replaced the same time as springs. I'm going to have to take it back apart and check that the conical washers are installed properly. I's bet alot of money that they are. However, one of the members said that the spring orientations could be wrong. Does anyone know anything about this?

Archived