LegacyGT.com

Suspension DIY

Long time no post.. not much going on with subie!!! Today im doing new pads and rotors on our 05' legacy. I also have some new shocks for the car I would like to install.

I have done suspension installs hundreds of times on my VW's.. I am confident the legacy will be easy. I just wanted to know if there are any specialty tools or anything I should know before tackling the suspension.

Thanks

Kevin B.

Alison working on "her" car!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25665_1103983657880_1775422589_195477_7342581_n.jpg

Pass through sockets if you have access to them. Don't go out and buy a new set if you don't have them, but if you have access, use them. An allen key/torx wrench is needed to keep the strut from spinning as you take the tophat off, so you need pass through sockets or have to use a regular wrench.

Other than that, the suspension is very straightforward and you shouldn't have any issues.

It's cool; I'm with the band

are you fishing for lobster out of your back window? have you caught anything yet?

haha.. i was wondering if someone would notice!!!! Its actually a humming bird feeder hanging from a tree in the front yard, about 50 yards closer to me then the car is!

Thanks for the info, i do have a "pass through" socket, but its for my VW's 22mm. Just a quick glance i dont think the top hat nut is that big! Ill whip up something!

Thanks.

you don't need a pass through socket set. just hit that tophat nut with an impact gun. it saves a lot of time

oh and the rear lower shock bolt is going to be ridiculously tight if it's never been removed before. put a 1/2 socket on the bolt (it should be facing the middle of the car) and wrench on the nut. get a floor jack and use the jack to jack up the socket.

OK, fronts are done... I did the impact method that i use 99% of the time. I think the only car i really use the pass through socket on is my rabbit GTI.

Front rotors, pads, struts; 2hrs.

The freaking rotors were ON THERE good. Thank someone we have every tool we could ever need between the garage and the shop! Plus my buddy Lee who i share the shop with is a Subie NUT!

The car is actually sitting a good 1/2" higher in the front now. It also rides very nice. I didnt upgrade to anything special we just picked up a new set of KYB's from rockauto.com for a really good price! At least I know the 18x8's will fit (rota tarmac 3's with a 225/40/18 (still need to buy tires though))

Thanks again guys!

Kevin B.

Archived