LegacyGT.com

no cel, but car has problems

I was cruising when the car lost power/went into limp mode. I pulled over and shut the car off. No cel codes on my ap so tried starting the car again, It would lug terribly then die. I Checked lines, vacuum, intercooler pipes , its all connected. I cranked it and gave it gas, the car came alive, but i have to give it constant gas, otherwise it dies. A loud rattling appears when i give the car gas. No acceleration, no cel, what could it be?

Update : started my car, this time i didnt have to gas it. Its knocking and rattling like crazy balls. No cel still...why is that? New short block time?! if so good thing i prepared, but why wouldnt there be a cel?

Knocking sound isn't good - can be a ringland failure or conrod bearing.

A compression test is first action. Also inspect the spark plugs so you have to keep track of which plug that comes from which cylinder. Sometimes you can figure out a lot from just looking at the plugs.

It may of course be the timing belt so take off the covers and check the belt and pulleys before you do any more cranking. Hand cranking is OK since you won't break things by doing a hand crank. And you may be able to feel and see things you won't discover otherwise.

453747.png

update: i am in the process of tearing things down. Drained the coolant, and then i removed the radiator. Checked the timing belt, still in good shape not broken, no jumped teeth.

then i drained the oil.......GOLD SPARKLY MUTHA F*(*ing FLAKES!!!!!!

from what i read from lurking on the forums thats rods correct? if so shorblock time.

Would that cause the car to lose power to the point of stalling? ill pull the spark plugs and have a look.

update: i am in the process of tearing things down. Drained the coolant, and then i removed the radiator. Checked the timing belt, still in good shape not broken, no jumped teeth.

from what i read from lurking on the forums thats rods correct? if so shorblock time.

Would that cause the car to lose power to the point of stalling? ill pull the spark plugs and have a look.

Its shortblock time no matter what it is. Usually flakes is the turbo. Other things you mention line up more with it being the turbo too.

That's definitely a bad sign, time to look for another engine.

It's always a good idea to tear down to see why it broke down - at least something to learn from.

Flakes can be a lot of things so before you know what it is you don't know which parts that you can re-use. And when re-using parts make sure they are cleaned well.

If the turbo is intact then you should anyway have it rebuilt, a fresh turbo is one future problem less.

453747.png

Alright. Today im going to pull the engine, tear it apart, separate heads and go from there. I will update everyone on here of my progress....only because i enjoy reading everyone elses build thread. Lets do this!

update: pulled out the motor! yup first engine I've ever pulled ever. so I'm in the process of tearing the block down to the bare components. I went to harbor freight and bought an engine stand and 1 ton cherry picker for 150$. Had to youtube how to put the engine on the engine stand...because i don't know sh(*&!!! Now I've take off the intake manifold, header, and uppipe. Took the timing belt off, with the help of youtube again. Didn't need the cam tool, there was this nifty trick using the alternator and the belt that helped me out.

I pulled the turbo, no shaft play, no bent fins, totally perfect! Then i proceeded to pull off the oil pan and lo and behold, metal shavings and gold flakes everywhere! ill post pics. So i need to pull those cam pulleys but i don't have the torx bit yet. My goal today is separate the heads. ill keep you posted.

update: pulled out the motor! yup first engine I've ever pulled ever. so I'm in the process of tearing the block down to the bare components. I went to harbor freight and bought an engine stand and 1 ton cherry picker for 150$. Had to youtube how to put the engine on the engine stand...because i don't know sh(*&!!! Now I've take off the intake manifold, header, and uppipe. Took the timing belt off, with the help of youtube again. Didn't need the cam tool, there was this nifty trick using the alternator and the belt that helped me out.

I pulled the turbo, no shaft play, no bent fins, totally perfect! Then i proceeded to pull off the oil pan and lo and behold, metal shavings and gold flakes everywhere! ill post pics. So i need to pull those cam pulleys but i don't have the torx bit yet. My goal today is separate the heads. ill keep you posted.

Rebuild turbo or take this time to VF 52 upgrade like the rest of the forums. No point in funneling 5 qts super tech synthetic or brotella though it and praying it does the trick at this point of engine pull.

ok ill rebuild/ upgrade the vf52 at jmp or something. Right now I've gotten the valve covers off....trying to figure out how to take out the cams to get to the head studs......IM LOST!!!

IIRC 10MM impact socket set as a regular 10MM socket broke only 2 bolts into the job. Once the cams come out be careful as the buckets may fall out too.

so i was looking up short blocks. From looking through build threads any year j257 should work? In mr.tris build 10103AC030 short block which is the same sti block from 04-07, but this block 10103AC050 has an upgraded nitrated crank that comes stock. Any thoughts on this?

ok ill rebuild/ upgrade the vf52 at jmp or something. Right now I've gotten the valve covers off....trying to figure out how to take out the cams to get to the head studs......IM LOST!!!

A full turbo rebuild may be a good idea if you have seen flakes in the oil. Even a small speck that haven't done much damage yet may be the culprit for the next crash.

453747.png

uploading pic problems

Aside from the oil the heads looks good.

But remove the valves and check valves and valve seats and re-do them if the seat or valve looks pitted. Also replace valve seals - and all other seals on the heads.

Valve guide replacement - maybe, but it depends on amount of wear - check what the wear limits are before deciding them.

And make sure that all oil channels are cleared and cleaned thoroughly due to the metal specks you found.

453747.png

Archived