LegacyGT.com

Bad noise / clacking at startup

Hi everyone. So here is the story: My Outback XT had been sitting for 5 days in the garage before I started it up yesterday afternoon. There was a bad clacking noise while the car was idling. It's never done this before BTW, so I was freaked out and killed the engine after maybe 5 seconds. The noise sounded like classic rod knock. :eek: So I let the car sit for a moment and I decided to start it up again to see if I could really pin down the noise. This time the clacking was only about 1/2 as loud (but still pretty loud IMO), I shut it down again after about 10 to 15 seconds and a little rev to 2000 rpms. So I then checked the oil and saw that I was down maybe 1qt, I added some oil, waited about a minute then started it up again. This time no noise / clacking at all.....just the normal cold start noises.

So my question is this. After sitting for 5 days would the oil in the engine (1qt low) drain out so much that there would be nothing left to lubricate a cold start up? I am hoping this noise was because lack of oil, and NOT because I have fried bearings. What say you?

On a separate note, I think I have a starter problem. Sometimes the when turn the key the starter does not fully engage the flywheel. I hear a spinning noise like the starter is working, but not cranking the engine over. If I let it sit and whirr for a second sometimes it engages the flywheel and the engine turns over and starts normal. Other times it will not engage the flywheel on it's own and if I press the gas peddle, it seems to help and engage the starter (don't know how those items are related, but like I said it seems to work). So is there some sort of sensor on out car that wont' let the starter engage with out some fuel getting to the engine?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Yes, you have just learned one of the reasons for NEVER letting oil level get low.

May be no one has ever said it before, oh wait a second, I'll copy the last piece of my sig and paste it here.

CHECK YOUR OIL, these cars use it.

My wagon did that once a few years back, yet last year when it spent months on jack stands, when I finally started it, it was just like normal, on noise.

Also the starter can be saved if you pull it, grease the shaft and re-install it. If that doesn't fix the issue replace it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 2009 did the same thing once after sitting for about a week, and hasn't ever done it again. Sounded like the engine was full of rocks, I did the same thing you did, shut down, then restart and it sounded fine after a few seconds. My oil was maybe 0.25 qt low.

was this before or after you decided to make an 87 octane map?

Haha. :rolleyes: I decided to nix that idea because it would only save me a few hundred a year with the miles I drive. If I was driving more miles and it was a savings of $500 or more I would go with it I think.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

It happens to everything if you let it sit long enough. But a quart low will definitely sound rough in general. I can usually tell when the oil starts getting low just because of how it sounds sitting in a drive thru or somewhere that really rebounds the noise.

And I doubt there would be some fuel-sensor starter interlock. Surely you can still turn the motor over with out fuel in the tank, it just won't crank.

It happens to everything if you let it sit long enough. But a quart low will definitely sound rough in general. I can usually tell when the oil starts getting low just because of how it sounds sitting in a drive thru or somewhere that really rebounds the noise.

And I doubt there would be some fuel-sensor starter interlock. Surely you can still turn the motor over with out fuel in the tank, it just won't crank.

It will crank (turn over), just won't fire. Sorry, I'm kind of picky about that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well if its a quart low it has nothing to do with it ..

since it does not have hydraulic lifters so those wouldn't make extra noise at start up, i wonder if a stuck valve would make such a clatter, but not likely.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived