LegacyGT.com

torque app and obd2 dongle

LegacyDan

The PLX Bluetooth dongle is your best best to use with Torque. http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwibluetooth/

The cheapo amazon/ebay ones are a crapshoot, and all seem to be the same rebranded hardware. They're ok for checking/clearing codes but most can't handle the datarates needed to run the real time monitors, if they work at all.

• 3 months later...
I'm using a cheapo elm327 and find it very laggy coming from romraider with a tactrix cable. When logging I am only getting one measurement per second any recommend dongles other than pdx that are reasonably price that would log more real time?

I've also got an el cheapo Amazon dongle and while it works... it's entirely useless at any kind of realtime data because there's like a half second delay between what the car does and what Torque shows.

Apparently the cheapest, best Bluetooth dongle you can get based on the torque forum I'm a member of is the plx kiwi. It's in the ballpark of 100$ but sounds worth it for its refresh rate and overall quality.

Here's a link toit at amazon...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Kiwi-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B004B0C1NE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth Wireless Trip Computer and OBDII Scanner: Automotive[/ame]

Got my "El Cheapo", aka Amazon ELM327 interface today. No problem pairing or connecting. After a few minutes Torque reports "Faulty Adaptor", it appears to still be reading PID's. Torque recognizes the hardware and warns of cheap Amazon/ebay ELM327 devices.

I noticed that the Vacuum/boost display is 12-15 high. When my mechanical Innovate boost shows say 8 Hg/In the Torque app says 20 psi. AFR seems to be dead on to Innovate LC-1 wideband.

I plan to see if it can be returned in exchange + difference for PLX.

If not I got a cheap code reader that can read CAN BUS protocols.

Like the idea that the PLX has a off switch.

:lol: 4 months later...

*sigh*

I know...You warned us (me). Just trying to save a buck. As usual it's better to bite the bullet and buy the best. At least Amazon returns are easy, going back today.

It did work, just sloppy on their communication resulting in errors. If all you need is to code read, then you would be fine. That is my main goal too, but I want the real-time monitor's to work too. Never noticed much lag on mine. The error in readings is either my fault for picking the wrong PID or is more of a raw value.

New discovery (at least to me) that no one has mentioned in this thread.

For those of you with a Apple iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad you might consider the Innovate Motorsports OR-2 wifi interface.

http://www.ot-2.com/index.html

It appears this unit would be extra nice for us folks that already have the Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband AFR as the OT-2 accepts the LC-1 (or probably other analog) inputs/outputs.

Sometimes I wish I had been an Apple supporter and bought the iPhone instead of a Droid. Oh, well.

To bad you can't reflash your ecu with the IM OT-2.... That would be an awesome alternative to the tractix cable. People always have their iPhone in their pocket

It would be awesome to port Romraider and ECUFLASH to iPhone and Android. Don't see it happening as there is to much risk for something to go wrong and everyone has a smart phone.

• 8 months later...
I have a crazy question.. I have an older Legacy a 97 Outback and I have a ELM327 bluetooth adapter, it updates like maybe half a second.. I was wondering would something like the kiwi bluetooth would update faster? That's a lot of money to spend and not knowing if it's going to update any faster or not.

Archived