LegacyGT.com

Roof rack thread for Fourth Generation Legacy Sedan.

Please post up your racks, what company made them, what you paid, where you bought them, what you haul with it and any info you have/photos if you have them.

I have searched for a half an hour and have not found one thread dedicated to this subject for the Fourth Generation Legacy Sedan.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Yakima racks for about eight cars now, so I have lots of parts. When I got my 08 LGT.B, I therefore bought a new Yak setup, bars, the towers, and the clips for this car. I ordered them through a local bike shop, but the online approach would have been as fast and the same price. HPH

The towers, which hold the crossbars, sit on rubber pads on the edges of the roof, and they're held down by clips that fit under the side window gaskets.

It's always a good idea to wash and wax the roof before installing the rack system, and to put lots of wax where the towers sit. Then, when you put the rack system on, you want to make sure the rubber pads are totally clean.

With this approach, I've not had scratching problems on any of the cars I've used this on, (Audis and Subarus). HPH

I just picked up a set of Yakima Q-Towers, clips, bars, powderhound ski racks, and already had a few bike racks. Installing it was more of a pain than I thought, this is my first car without rails for factory racks...the Q Tower clamps have to be installed in exactly the right place or they are NOT sturdy. They seem to be set up pretty good now though, not as secure as the set on my 4runner but I do not think there will be a yard sale of ski and bike equipment on the freeway behind me.

I'll add pictures when I get home. They look GREAT.

slus, how much did you pay for them? The ones I have looked at are pretty darn expensive!

Just bought a kayak today (black Friday sale), had to use the wifes Outback to get it home.

I just bought a set of Q Towers and load bars, along with a set of powderhounds and one bike tray for 200 on craigslist. Stopped by and picked up the Q-Clips for the legacy for around 70 and it was a done deal.

• Mega Users
I have had a THULE set-up on my car for over three years now. I worked at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports and we sold Yakima products there (a THULE sales rep was dating an employee there and he hooked me up with the tower, x-bars, fairing, and a ski rack for free). I love the Yakima accessories but I like the THULE rack system much more. The tower, bar, and fairing design are all much better looking and easier to use IMHO. I've carried four bikes, four kayaks, a snowboard w/ 2 sets of skis, and some miscellaneous cargo. I'd say Yakima and THULE are equal in quality. I think THULE's roof rack is sleeker and Yakima's more basic accessories are better than THULE's. Don't buy anything else than those two companies though or you will get some cheap crap.

Yakima rack, consisting of 2 Sidewinders. Also have a King Cobra attachment...but usually throw that on the wife's SUV stock rack.

Bought used for $100 (somebody really needed money) w/ a fairing that was far too short...so I picked up a used, but in very good condition fairing that was the appropriate width:

iPhone pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/kramonut/05%20Legacy%20GT/Rack.jpg

Fancier DSLR pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/kramonut/05%20Legacy%20GT/subby-Edit.jpg

Im dying to get a rack but I reallly dont want to spend close to 400 bones for one. there pretty hard to find used as well as there model specific

just keep an eye out for someone selling q-towers, you buy the fit kit separate.

I got the Yakima set up, towers, bars, locks, fairing, fat cat 6 (ski racks). Its a pretty slick looking set up, engineered well too.

The only drawback is significant wind noise even with the fairing over 65 mph and you can say goodbye to a mile or two per gallon.

I'll see if I can snipe my g/f's camera for a few pics

who sells fit kits??

Any store who sells Yakima products. You need the Q78 kit, it includes two hooks and two rubber pads for the bottoms of the Q-Towers, you'll need 2 sets, 70 bucks + S/H. The guys at Rack Attack are very helpful. You can probably find them on sale at REI. That's where I got mine. Mine were 20% off on top of a 60 dollar rebate.

just keep an eye out for someone selling q-towers, you buy the fit kit separate.

I got the Yakima set up, towers, bars, locks, fairing, fat cat 6 (ski racks). Its a pretty slick looking set up, engineered well too.

The only drawback is significant wind noise even with the fairing over 65 mph and you can say goodbye to a mile or two per gallon.

I'll see if I can snipe my g/f's camera for a few pics

this is the exact set-up i'm looking at after taxes in canada will be 743.00 ouch but nice rack though

Any store who sells Yakima products. You need the Q78 kit, it includes two hooks and two rubber pads for the bottoms of the Q-Towers, you'll need 2 sets, 70 bucks + S/H. The guys at Rack Attack are very helpful. You can probably find them on sale at REI. That's where I got mine. Mine were 20% off on top of a 60 dollar rebate.

Search some Subie forums for used fit kits/racks as well. That's where I found my Q78's....same used for WRX's.

BTW - If anyone needs a fit kit, I have an extra I'd like to sell. Bought them for $45 shipped...so that's all I'd like to get. Includes (4) Q78 clips & pads.

Thx,

Mark