LegacyGT.com

Help Diagnose a noise

el5y

I thought possibly tires or alignment but I just got new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3) and an alignment and the noise is still there.

Starting from 25-30 mph on up I have a vibration noise that just gets louder the faster I go. I'm just looking for ideas as to what I might be.

Wheel Bearings? Wheels out of balance (shouldn't the shop have balanced them when they put the new tires on??)

Any ideas? Also any one know where I can upload a sound clip to share? I recorded the sound when driving 55mph

• Moderators

Could be something in the output side of the transmission / driveshaft...?

If you've ruled out the tires (yes the shop should have balanced them, although you can certainly get that checked) I would go with a wheel bearing or something in the trans / driveshaft possibly.

You should be able to check the bearings. Put the car up and grab the tires/wheels to see if there is any excessive play in one or more corner. That or run the car while up on stands and listen to things to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from. Be careful tho!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'll check the bearings this weekend when I get a chance. I don't have 4 jack stands to do a wheels up run :p Maybe I should just take it to carmax and buy hicksta's car instead of trying to fix it...

• Moderators
I'll check the bearings this weekend when I get a chance. I don't have 4 jack stands to do a wheels up run :p Maybe I should just take it to carmax and buy hicksta's car instead of trying to fix it...

Not a bad idea. Seriously... :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

heh, well taking the car to carmax this weekend to get a price :) I just read through the walkthrough on how to replace the front wheel bearing and in the thread the tech said you can't really tell any wiggle because of the design of the hub, but the more I read about the wheel bearing issues the more likely it seems

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so...since I couldn't get a decent price on my LGT from any stealership I decided to ask them how much it would cost to replace a wheel bearing on my car. They quoted me 440/wheel.

Given that I can get replacement parts online for less than half that price and I wanted to get some air tools anyways.

Anyone have suggestions for decent quality air impact wrench and air compressor??

At a final price of around 440 (or even more if decent products which will last a while) it really just makes more sense for me to do it myself rather than pay the dealership.

I have this Impact gun, and it's awesome. Don't cheap out on the wrench. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2130-2-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Impact/dp/B0002UNR6W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1407175628&sr=8-9&keywords=ingersoll+rand+impact+wrench]Amazon.com: Ingersoll-Rand 2130 1/2-Inch Heavy-Duty Air Impact Wrench: Home Improvement[/ame]

As far as the compressor goes... A small pancake style can sometimes 'get the job done', but it wont be happy. You really need a larger one with a good recovery rate. These are typically in the 30 gallon and up range. Between the gun, hose, and compressor, you'll spend more than $440 if you buy new. You can likely find a good compressor on sale for 250-350 ish.. plus the 175 for the wrench. 40-50 for a hose (go rubber) and incidentals. $475 total minimum, dependent on the deal you get on the compressor.

The standard 26 gallon compressor that everyone seems to have from Sears is fine, though it may need to catch up when doing wheels, or larger jobs. I'd rather spend a few bucks more, and get a slightly better rated one personally. Craigslist is an option for a good compressor too.

You can also just get a battery/li-ion powered impact wrench. A lot of guys here have good things to say about them. An air compressor will be more versatile, as you move into the future however.

Oh, and you'll need impact sockets too. All my impact sockets are IR as well (for the most part). This was my first set. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-SK4M14L-2-Inch-Metric-Impact/dp/B000HGMSGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407175988&sr=8-2&keywords=ingersoll+rand+impact+socket]Ingersoll Rand SK4M14L 1/2-Inch 14 Piece Deep Metric Impact Socket Set - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com[/ame]

I have this Impact gun, and it's awesome. Don't cheap out on the wrench. Amazon.com: Ingersoll-Rand 2130 1/2-Inch Heavy-Duty Air Impact Wrench: Home Improvement

As far as the compressor goes... A small pancake style can sometimes 'get the job done', but it wont be happy. You really need a larger one with a good recovery rate. These are typically in the 30 gallon and up range. Between the gun, hose, and compressor, you'll spend more than $440 if you buy new. You can likely find a good compressor on sale for 250-350 ish.. plus the 175 for the wrench. 40-50 for a hose (go rubber) and incidentals. $475 total minimum, dependent on the deal you get on the compressor.

The standard 26 gallon compressor that everyone seems to have from Sears is fine, though it may need to catch up when doing wheels, or larger jobs. I'd rather spend a few bucks more, and get a slightly better rated one personally. Craigslist is an option for a good compressor too.

You can also just get a battery/li-ion powered impact wrench. A lot of guys here have good things to say about them. An air compressor will be more versatile, as you move into the future however.

Oh, and you'll need impact sockets too. All my impact sockets are IR as well (for the most part). This was my first set. Ingersoll Rand SK4M14L 1/2-Inch 14 Piece Deep Metric Impact Socket Set - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com

thanks jasejase!

Like I said I don't mine spending more for the tools if I'm going to be doing them all myself. at 440/wheel, if I have to replace 2 wheel bearings I've made up the price difference and then some. Plus I can use the compressor for the work around the 1964 house I have. :)

^^ all very true.

I have a small Dewalt AC that I bought originally for my finish nailers. It works for car stuff, but it's tough when doing wheels or something that requires quick recovery. I plan to get a secondary one for the garage, and use the dewalt for projects around the house that don't require a lot of gusto!

Does sound like wheel bearings. Both my rears sounded like that a few months back.

Also, check wheels for any bent rims. After replacing my bearings, the sound was gone, but still had the vibations. Then I discovered I had one bent rim.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Does sound like wheel bearings. Both my rears sounded like that a few months back.

Also, check wheels for any bent rims. After replacing my bearings, the sound was gone, but still had the vibations. Then I discovered I had one bent rim.

Rims were good last I checked them before the new tires and alignment.

Secondary question though, if they were bent wouldn't you expect a tire shop to say something about that?

Yes and no. Most tire shop can catch a bad rim when they balance it, but if the rim is slightly bent, probably not. I went to have my wheel in question back to the shop and they spun it on the balancer and said it zero out. That's when he pointed out the bent section on the backside. He said you will only notice it at freeway speeds, which I do, but in town I don't notice it that much.

Just suggesting to visually check your rims when you do your bearings.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 1 month later...

No bends in the rims, I rotated my tires and the noise still seems like its on the passenger side, the front had a little grind to it when I jacked up the car and spun the wheels, the read did as well. Nothing that I could really tell for the driver's side.

On a side note, I've been checking craigslist periodically and found a 20gal compressor and a slightly smaller Ingersoll Rand impact wrench (Model 2705p1)

Do you think I can make due with those? All told for both in great->new shape for around 200.

The compressor may need to play catch up a bit. If you go slow it will be ok I think. Depends on the size, recovery rate, etc.

I only really need it to break out the axle nuts so i think it will have plenty of recovery time between wheels. We'll see though.

Picked up the impact wrench last night and should be getting the compressor this afternoon.

hahah I suppose thats true. The guy who I got the impact wrench from was trying to sell me a 100gal compressor. He said it just needs some fittings and the power cord replaced but otherwise its in great shape. He wanted 100 for it and I told him I would think about it... I don't really know where I would put a 100gallon compressor. :p

Archived