LegacyGT.com

ghetto leaking sunroof fix

So my sunroof was leaking a few weeks ago... I noticed condensation/rust bubbles on the metal frame...

I applied a shit ton of mink oil to the rubber seal around the sunroof and had my mechanic clear the sunroof drains as well...

so far so good and no leaks!

I even applied the mink oil to my door seals too and they puffed back up... I know this because the part of the seal around the factory tweeter on the driver's side fits nice and tight now and it didn't before...

The rubber seal around the sunroof glass isn't water tight. It isn't supposed to be. Afterall, if it was, why are there water drain tubes underneath it?

What is actually happening is the silicone under the rails which the sunroof glass slide on have become old, and have began cracking, and is no longer making a seal. Instead of preventing water from entering the cabin, it is acting like a wick, and bringing water INTO the cabin.

The only real way to fix this is to drop the headliner, pull the whole thing out, and scrape all the old silicone off the rails, and reapply new stuff.

I always noticed the water soaking in the corners just around the opening of the sunroof itself on the headliner.

Your problem may be minimal, and maybe you can repair it by shooting some silicone from just opening the roof all the way and going as far as you can go. It's always nice to do it right, though.

I know it took me about 5 hours to completely remove everything.

Putting it back in was a breeze, and I did it all myself. I definitely recommend someone to at least help you drop the assembly down, it is quite heavy and rather awkward to pull out of the car as you are sitting in the backseat and it's falling into your lap.

Archived