LegacyGT.com

Carwash woes. Beepity boopity

So after the new shortblock installation I find myself with cyl 1 and 3 (pass side cylinders) misfires only when in the touchless carwash(the fast jet spray thingies). It will stumble and misfire for about 5 seconds then completely disappear. I have no other times when I misfire. Another local subaru owner has an identical problem and doesn't know what it is.

I got a bottle of water and dribble drabbled some water in the areas I think are being affected while the engine was running, with the hood up, but found no reoccurence of aforemetnioned issue. Any common areas in the engine bay that this happens in? My fuel trims are fine, vac is fine, no vac leaks found. Air box is sealed fine, coil pack connectors are on (obviously as it runs and drive fine otherwise).

You lazy bum. Wash the damn car by hand.

Oh let me guess, you live in an appartment. Hey use the wand at the car wash and bring your own towels to dry it off.

I would think it could be a humidity problem and a not water tight connection.

Maybe take apart all the connetors, check the seals.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I dribbled water over the maf and connectors and coil packs in hopes to fry my ecu, didn't stumble. It's weird that the misfires resolve within seconds!

That's close but it's not the same as the hood closed, engine running, high pressure hot water being forced under the car, water vapor rising up.

I guess that's the engineer in me (not that I am one) talking.

Next time it rains make sure you drive the car while it's raining. My old 86 Ford F150 doesn't like rainy day's sometimes too. That's how I know it's time for a new distrubitor cap and rotor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

but at the same time people with aftermarket headers don't have heatshields on them and dont have this issue. maybe i should put some dielectric grease in the coilpack connectors...the steam may be seaping through

• Mega Users
factory intake setup, i briefly though about the steam being sucked in or whatever, not sure. can steam get past the filter?

I don't even have trouble with my open cone avo

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I have had this issue as well. Especially when the under carriage sprayer is on. Goes away after no more then 10-20 seconds and I have no under tray either so maybe it is the steam doing something.

DunnO if Bmx is referring to me as the friend but I've had the same issue hand washing my car (fmic) cel for a second then goes away. Rough start. Never pulled the code because it vanished so fast. I also have kn intake-

Yeah. Odd. Im gunna snug the coil pack connectors up and check the main engine harness connector. I took a water bottle and dropped water on certain areas and couldnt replicate the misfires. I think the steam is getting into something.

i had issues also when in carwash or deep puddles, i figured it was water getting on the front o2 sensor, and or bad coil packs with cracks that end up being senstive to water.

but don't have these issues with the buick engine :p

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader