LegacyGT.com

Fog's on with high beams

Anyone able to make fog lights come on with high beams? I would like to do this with a simple mod, no splicing if possible. In my Ford I just bent a pin back in a relay and it canceled out the fog off with the high beam. Not sure if anybody was able to do something simple like this.

Get a Euro BIU and you would get the fogs to come on even on position lights or main beams.

But it doesn't make sense to have the fogs on except when position lights are on.

Only catch is that with a BIU change you will get problems with the immobilizer instead.

453747.png

I lIke this except I don't like the fact the relay contacts are exposed even under the cover. I think I would try and shrink tube around them. And I wish you could turn the fog's off too. Kinda sucks they stay on constantly.

I lIke this except I don't like the fact the relay contacts are exposed even under the cover. I think I would try and shrink tube around them. And I wish you could turn the fog's off too. Kinda sucks they stay on constantly.

I can only assume that you did not actually read the whole thread :cool:.... The fogs are only on when you want them on.... On or off with the DRLs....on or off with the headlights....on or off with the high beams. There is an independent switch on the dash which has positive control of the fog light circuit.

Go to the original thread I posted and read post #40

Last little detail done today.......ran the power (From the parking light wire) into the dash and put in a switch so I have control of the fog lights no matter what light circuit is "ON"

Of course I used a blue switch....I have a blue car :rolleyes:

Simple install...power wire to the "power" side of the switch....wire from the "Acces." side to the fog light relay and then ground the switch so the switch lights up blue when the fogs are "On" :cool:

Everything else remains the same as the pics I have already posted.

If I could do it on a vehicle that was over 13 years old I don't see how it could not be possible on a 2015+ vehicle. It's just a ? of figuring out certain schematics. That's why I put it out there to all the people on here that are a hell of a lot smarter than me.

I don't want another seperate switch. I want to use the existing stock fog light switch.

You can't always get what you want. The place to start in such projects is to learn and understand how the existing circuit works and ask yourself why it was implemented that way. Step one is usually to obtain a copy of the relevant wiring diagrams in the Factory Service Manual.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If I could do it on a vehicle that was over 13 years old I don't see how it could not be possible on a 2015+ vehicle. It's just a ? of figuring out certain schematics. That's why I put it out there to all the people on here that are a hell of a lot smarter than me.

Stuff like this was easy on older cars....I have done a similar mod on all my Subaru's starting with a 2000 Impreza....and many earlier sports cars and sports sedans...easy stuff! There was a fairly complicated walk through for doing it on 4th Gen Legacy's..... when you get to 5th/6th Gen Subaru's you are dealing with the BIU and if you blow that it is a about $2000 bill.

Earlier models you would only be looking at replacing fuses.... I managed to do it through the OEM fog light switch in my 2002 WRX.... took 3 days of experimenting and blew multiple fuses before I got it right.:mad:

The way I showed in my thread works real easy...if you know anything about wiring it will take about an hour and you will have full separate control of your fog lights in any of the head light circuits.... BTW as I said later in the thread, I cleaned up all the early work and it now has very short "Jumper wires" and they all have insulated connection heads....all the wiring is tucked away so even when I took it to the dealership the tech didn't notice anything until I showed him....the only noticeable thing is a small illuminated blue toggle switch on the very left end of my dash :cool:

If you really want to avoid the switch, just jump in there and start tearing the wiring apart....carefully...and let us know how it works out :spin:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/4_zpsrzk57ptm.jpg

With this little switch "OFF" all the lights works just as they did from the factory... with it "ON" you have independent control of your fog lights to run them with "DRLs"...with "Low beam" and with "High beam"

Scooby Fan's mod is the BEST one out there. I just never installed the extra switch as having fogs on all the time with the lights did not bother me.

I have done this all of my subarus over the years (like 20 mins after delivery while I cancelled the DRLs). I used fogs as a DRL during Seattle long hazy winters. Once your lights are on, you won't be able to turn off fogs though as they are wired in full time or add a switch is you must turn them off..

They will also stay on with your brights.

Total time for this mod is like 20 mins and it does involve tapping into one of the parking light wires.

And for those who question or questioned this mod, it has been working just fine in all of my Subs going back to my 1990 Legacy!

Completely reversible mod as all of my cars have been leases. I think, I might of even done a write up in the past.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/tgunal/Subaru%202012/6a9c87ec-db77-4272-bee0-53f9b582106a_zps3d641e2d.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/tgunal/Subaru%202012/IMG_20121107_163018_zps51d0b612.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/tgunal/Subaru%202015/20160808_201505_zpszexu45mr.jpg

In my '06 BMW I used LEGO pieces to mod a switch to enable the rear fogs.

And of course the very next day my kid was looking for the two pieces I used...

BMW and Legacy have nothing in common when it comes to that.

BMWs have rear fogs installed and ready to go from the factory. All you have to do is mod the switch on E9X or get a new switch for FXX models.

N. American Subarus have nothing and will require hardware modifications and wiring to accomplish this. It is just not worth the hassle.

Archived